Roon Controller Plugin Beta feedback.

Posted on
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:40 am
autolog offline

Roon Controller Plugin Beta feedback.

New thread for feedback on the Roon beta - please post all feedback in this thread so that it can be shared. :)

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 5:37 am
autolog offline

Pillow Required for Images

Missing bit of documentation. :oops:

You need to open a terminal session and do a pip install of Pillow i.e.:
Code: Select all
pip install Pillow
This is needed for processing the album and artist images. :)

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 5:39 am
autolog offline

Re: Roon Controller Plugin Beta feedback.

Reviewing last night's Roon Plugin log, there is an error being thrown on adding new devices.

Corrected in Version 0.1.6 which is available at the download link and is to be highly recommended if you want a working plugin! :)

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 6:20 am
IndigoSam offline

My Indigo box has an 'as is' vanilla install of El Cap.

I don't have 'pip' on there.

Sam.

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 6:45 am
autolog offline

OK - @FlyingDiver told me how to fix it. :)

Version 0.1.7 uploaded which includes the package within the plugin. :)

Also note that when the plugin starts-up it will require to be authorised by Roon - you will see a message in the Indigo Event log indicating such.

To do this, go to the Roon Controller, Open Settings and select the Extensions tab and click Enable on the autolog Roon extension.

Hopefully this will all work for you - fingers crossed. :)

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 7:01 am
autolog offline

Another missing piece of info about Roon Actions; these are available here;

Roon Actions.png
Roon Actions
Roon Actions.png (494.52 KiB) Viewed 13841 times

Still trying to figure out why the Actions are duplicated. :?

Only one of the pair will show a zone to select. So use that one.

In the meanwhile, I will try and figure out what is going on. :)

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 12:17 pm
IndigoSam offline

Might also need to include the websocket package as well?

Upgrading plugin Roon to newer version 0.1.7 (previous version moved to trash)
   Loading plugin "Roon 0.1.7"
   Starting plugin "Roon 0.1.7" (pid 55562)
   Roon Error                      Error in plugin execution InitializeMain:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 26, in <module>
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/Plugins/Roon.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/roon/__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/Plugins/Roon.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/roon/roonapi.py", line 4, in <module>
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/Plugins/Roon.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/roon/roonapisocket.py", line 2, in <module>
ImportError: No module named websocket

Stopping plugin "Roon 0.1.7" (pid 55562)
   Stopped plugin "Roon 0.1.7"

Sam.

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 1:18 pm
autolog offline

Seems so - working on it . . . :)

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 pm
autolog offline

Version 0.1.8 now available. :)

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 2:36 pm
IndigoSam offline

V0.1.8 Gives me the config dialog and doesn't show any package errors.

Initially the 'autolog' extension was not showing in Roon settings.

I restarted Roon Server then reloaded the plugin, it then appeared.

I completely missed the 'Enable Zone/Output creation' tick box the first time I ran it and I created some devices manually. As the extension in Roon was not set up this didn't work, which was as expected really. The point of this background ramble was when I deleted the manually added device, the following appeared in the log:

Roon Error                      'deviceDeleted' error detected for device 'new device'. Line '1972' has error='list index out of range'

After that I created a simple Roon-Controls->Play and an Output Action Group, which worked fine.

Of interest I didn't get the duplicated Actions in your screen shot. Not sure if you had fixed that in this version?

Sam.

Posted on
Sat May 04, 2019 5:22 am
autolog offline

Hi Sam,
Thanks for the feedback. :)

The duplicated actions were caused by me having duplicate Roon actions in another unrelated plugin - I was using the Roon code as a base - I have now sorted this on my system and it explains why you aren't seeing it. :)

I am gradually working my way through the different things that can cause the plugin and Roon to get out of sync - the 'devicedeleted' error looks like one of these errors.

How many Roon devices have you got and do you ever group them? If so the Auto create will automatically create new Zones for the group when you group them.

In the fullness of time I plan to be able to issue the grouping commands via Indigo. :)

Again, thanks for the testing and apologies for the slow start as you worked your way through a new install. It is very useful in order to make the plugin more robust and to aid the documentation writing. :)

Posted on
Sat May 04, 2019 11:17 am
IndigoSam offline

I have 5 devices. I don't actually have them in zones, although happy to set that up for any testing.

When I started again I delete all my manual devices, reconfigured to Auto create and it did indeed auto create everything.

And no problem on the testing, happy to do it. After all, you are doing all the hard work :-)

Sam.

Posted on
Sun May 05, 2019 6:06 am
autolog offline

I think you mean you don't have any grouped Roon zones?

Roon lists output devices it knows about (see Roon Settings > Audio).
When you enable a Roon output device, it is allocated to a Roon Zone.

That's why the plugin creates two type of devices (Roon Output and Roon Zone).

When you group a Roon Zone with another Roon Zone (or zones), Roon creates a new grouped Roon Zone. If you have auto-create set in the plugin config, the plugin will create the new (grouped) Roon Zone for you. :)

While the grouping is in effect, The two (or more) original Roon Zones that have been grouped will be shown as disconnected Indigo devices.

Are you running your Roon Core on your Indigo System Mac or somewhere else?

Posted on
Mon May 06, 2019 9:39 am
IndigoSam offline

Yes, I did mean grouping!

I'm not really sure what the functional and practical differences are between an Output and a Zone.

The Output devices do state if that output is reachable or not, i.e. connected or disconnected.
The Zone gives more information about state of playing something through that device, however it also gives a 'disconnected' when that device is off.

I guess I'm not clear at the moment on the need for both types of device?

What I find interesting is that turning off an end point removes the related zone from zone list in the Roon software, but that zone is still present in your plugin with the status of 'disconnected'. That means your plugin give a better view of the situation than the actual Roon software! :-)

My Roon Core is on the same Mac as Indigo.

Sam.

Posted on
Mon May 06, 2019 1:48 pm
autolog offline

The plugin reflects the info passed back by the Roon API for outputs and zones. I just map Roon Outputs to Roon plugin output devices and likewise, Roon Zones to Roon plugin Zone devices.

Roon Outputs are the physical audio devices that you Enable in the Roon Settings > Audio.

AFAICS, Roon Zones have a 1-1 relationship with their respective Roon output while not grouped.

If you group some zones then you get a new zone that comprises the outputs included in the group.

If you look at the custom state fields, they are different for Outputs and Zones.

For example, Outputs have state fields which show which other outputs can be grouped with it. For example, you can't group an Airplay speaker with a USB attached speaker. Volume controls relate to outputs, which makes sense in a grouped zone as you can alter the volume of each output individually.

Zones reflect what music you have chosen to play and the playing states amongst other things.

Still learning Roon myself as I haven't had it long but hopefully I have got the above correct. :)

Next version (hopefully tomorrow) will have a number of bug fixes and then I will be looking to add in Volume processing. You can only toggle mute at the moment. Volume processing will be applied to output devices as that is how Roon handles volume.