Pioneer Receiver discussion

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:40 pm
durosity offline

Re: Pioneer Receiver Plugin (FREE)

I’ve just received my VSX-922 and so far it does seem to be working perfectly with the plugin (but i still have a lot of testing to do). there’s some mention of favourites in the setup GUI, but i’ve not yet explored what can be put into it.. of course being in the UK there’s no Pandora but i suspect it’ll be the same kind of process. I’ll let you know if it seems to be usable with the plugin!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:57 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Look forward to hearing whatever you may find out. My main use for the receiver is
to be able to play Pandora stations directly from Indigo.

Do hope they is a way to do that.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:12 am
durosity offline

Re: Pioneer Receiver discussion

Well so far the plugin seems to work perfectly.. i’ve had no errors or functions that haven’t worked at all. :) It would be nice to have a few extra remote commands under the “Remote Control Button Press” as it only covers the basics, but other than that i’m dead chuffed with it all!

One question though (that has nothing to do with the plugin).. is there anyway of making the main display on the receiver show the current source rather than the listening mode? At the moment it’s just displaying DPLII Movie all the time.. would rather it’d say PS3 or AppleTV or whatever :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:14 am
durosity offline

Unfortunately i can’t find any way of using the favourites from the plugin.. perhaps at some point the plugin may be able to cover it but alas not at this time. Other than that though the plugin works great! Really chuffed with it.. does exactly what i need it to do

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:28 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Until if and when the plugin might be able to access favorites, have you noticed
if they can be accessed by the IR remote control?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:32 pm
durosity offline

As far as i can tell so far (it all being so new it’s difficult to be certain) the only way to access the favourites is to cycle through the sources

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:43 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks, think I'll check and see what discrete IR codes might be out there for the unit.
Always surprises me when what would appear to be a simple function turns out to be
nearly impossible.

Carl

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:57 pm
durosity offline

If you do find discrete IR codes could you let me know please? they’ll be handy for instances when my indigo server is offline and the other half is whining at me that she can’t watch TV :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:12 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I found a few at Remotecentral...just the basics though. No help with accessing favs
or Pandora :-(

Carl

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:52 pm
nsheldon offline

durosity wrote:
One question though (that has nothing to do with the plugin).. is there anyway of making the main display on the receiver show the current source rather than the listening mode? At the moment it’s just displaying DPLII Movie all the time.. would rather it’d say PS3 or AppleTV or whatever :)

Good question. I don't think there is a way to do that... that I know of anyway.

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:04 am
durosity offline

Ah well never mind, it’s a blip in an otherwise near-perfect setup.

I have found one minor “bug”.. when the power for Zone 1 is off the volume for it goes to −999.0.. nothing major but would be nice if it would just read 0.0.. or even be blank :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:55 am
nsheldon offline

durosity wrote:
I have found one minor “bug”.. when the power for Zone 1 is off the volume for it goes to −999.0.. nothing major but would be nice if it would just read 0.0.. or even be blank :)

Actually, that's intentional. :-). A volume of 0.0 would be equal to full volume, so that wouldn't make sense when the zone is off. Blank might work, but I decided to go with -999.0 so that actions that do calculations on the volume number wouldn't throw error messages when the volume was no longer a number. And -999 seemed close enough to nagative infinity dB ;-) (what the value really should be).

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:17 am
durosity offline

Ahh.. that makes sense… i guess it’s a good indicator that it’s off :) Other than that i’ve not found a single feature that doesn’t work.. so if you want to perhaps update the tested list?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:17 am
nsheldon offline

durosity wrote:
Other than that i’ve not found a single feature that doesn’t work.. so if you want to perhaps update the tested list?

That's great to hear! I've updated the list on the first page of this thread to show that the 922 is confirmed supported. If you find otherwise later on, let me know.

With regard to the volume, if you want something to show the percentage of full volume (where 0 = no sound and 100 = 0.0 dB, or full volume), you can create a Virtual Volume Controller device and link it to the Zone 1 volume for your VSX-922 device. (New Device -> Type: Pioneer Receiver, Model: Virtual Volume Controller -> Edit Device Settings...). This will create a dimmer device in Indigo that represents the volume level of your 922 Zone 1. Whenever the Zone 1 volume of your 922 changes, the dimmer "brightness" in Indigo will change to reflect it. You can also change the Virtual Volume Controller "brightness" to whatever volume percentage you want and it will adjust the 922 to that volume. Off and On commands mute and unmute (respectively) the 922's volume. That device's status changes to zero when the Zone is off, if that helps.

Posted on
Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:43 am
durosity offline

You are an absolute genius.. that’s a brilliant idea.. will make it a lot easier for the other half to understand :D

Computer says no.