Posted on
Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:12 pm
CraigM offline

Re: Frost warning

nsheldon wrote:
CraigM wrote:
Nathan,

I received a 'frost warning" email from 11/11, 9:06 pm [<40º]

Is this warning me of <40º for the night of 11/11, early am of 11/12, or the eve of 11/12?

My control panel shows "low temp tonight" at 44º

When did it detect a 39º or less?

That completely depends on your trigger and from what event it's configured to be triggered. Without knowing what your trigger settings are, I couldn't say which bit of information triggered the email. In my own NOAA Weather Plus device (set up for the CA central valley), there was a weather advisory for frost. Perhaps your trigger is set to look for frost warnings, or for similar words in the forecast descriptions. But again, I have no idea how you've set it up.

Sorry, I should have referred to my previous post above [with screen shots], but instead of the 70º used during testing it's now online at 40º

TRIGGER= Low temp tonight ~ has any change
CONDITION= if Device ~ low temp tonight ~ is less than 40º

Posted on
Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:15 pm
nsheldon offline

Ahh. Gotcha. I'm not sure what may have caused the trigger. It's possible that the low temperature tonight may have been predicted to be below 40 initially but was later revised by NOAA. I've seen that happen on forecasted temperatures at times in my own device. Without a log to show the sequence of low temperature predictions, though, it's hard to say for sure if that was what caused it.

As for when Temperature Tonight value is to take effect, it's been my observation that it generally refers to the time that it was changed by NOAA through about 6:00 AM. So if they predicted an overnight temperature of something like 39 degrees (before revising it upward later), they meant that it was expected to reach 39 degrees sometime between the time of the prediction and 6:00 AM of the next morning (which is usually when they make the prediction for the next day's evening).

Posted on
Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:37 pm
Ericbo offline

Bit of an update but my current setup is working pretty well (a mix between the NOAA weekly (next 7 nights) and daily (lowest temp and keywords))
Will know for sure by end of the winter but so far so good ... fruit trees are happy !

Posted on
Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:38 pm
nsheldon offline

Ericbo wrote:
Bit of an update but my current setup is working pretty well (a mix between the NOAA weekly (next 7 nights) and daily (lowest temp and keywords))
Will know for sure by end of the winter but so far so good ... fruit trees are happy !

Great! Glad to hear it!