Pioneer Receiver Beta Test Discussion - RETIRED

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:37 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: Pioneer Receiver Beta Test Discussion

Yea, that might be it. I'll look around and see if I can find out what port the 1022 allows connections through, if any. I'm sure it does given it's the updated version of the 1021. Sorry for the hassle. If you have the Network Utility handy in Mac OS X, try running a port scan on the receiver's IP address and let me know what ports it finds open. That may help.

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:49 pm
nlagaros offline

This is what I got with nmap:

Code: Select all
PORT     STATE SERVICE
80/tcp   open  http
443/tcp  open  https
1030/tcp open  iad1
1900/tcp open  upnp
8080/tcp open  http-proxy

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:57 pm
nsheldon offline

nlagaros wrote:
This is what I got with nmap:

Code: Select all
PORT     STATE SERVICE
80/tcp   open  http
443/tcp  open  https
1030/tcp open  iad1
1900/tcp open  upnp
8080/tcp open  http-proxy

Interesting. Could you tell me what kind of response you get when trying to telnet to port 1030 and to port 1900? I wonder if Pioneer changed the "custom integration" port with this new model.

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 pm
nlagaros offline

I just tried all three Pioneer Control apps in the AppStore. The one called ControlApp works and it tells me that it is communicating on port 8102. I can't telnet to that port, but my guess is that Pioneer made some serious changes with this model.

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:07 pm
nsheldon offline

That's unfortunate. I'll continue to google around and see what I can find. If you're willing to do some trial and error testing, I'll be happy to help with that, but I'd certainly understand if you didn't have the time or inclination.

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm
nlagaros offline

I'm happy to do testing and some research as well. I will have some time later in the week to run some DeviceSpy against the receiver and see if there is another way to control it. Could it act as a true media renderer and be all SOAP based? I'm not sure, but will investigate and report back.

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:26 pm
nsheldon offline

nlagaros wrote:
I'm happy to do testing and some research as well. I will have some time later in the week to run some DeviceSpy against the receiver and see if there is another way to control it. Could it act as a true media renderer and be all SOAP based? I'm not sure, but will investigate and report back.

Sounds good!

Posted on
Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 pm
CraigM offline

Re: Pioneer Receiver Plugin Open Beta Test

Nathan, could you please give advice on how the VSX-1021-K works since yours is up-and-running and mine is not yet.

My VSX-1021-K will be powering my AV components [typical home theater setup 5.1, TV, BluRay...] on zone 1 [I think they are called zones, but you know what I mean].

I also have speakers in a bathroom, which are to be controlled from a KPL. My plan [until you announced your plugin] was to use an Airport Express > RCA L/R > to an old receiver, shut off the AE wifi and connect it to the network via cat6.

- Would I be better off using zone 2 on the VSX-1021-K for the bathroom?
- What are the rules of what can be played through zone 1, zone 2, and 1 & 2 at the same time?
- Scenarios I can imagine:
* Zone 2 is programmed to power on the VSX-1021-K, but it may already be on from zone 1 use.
* Zone 2 is programmed to power off the VSX-1021-K, but that would kill zone 1 if in use.

How would you handle one device [VSX-1021-K] juggling two zones with a multitude of scenarios?

Posted on
Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:01 pm
nsheldon offline

Hi.

First, I should mention that I've only tested the use of multi-zone operation using the ZONE 2 RCA output jacks on the rear of the VSX-1021-K, and not extensively.

Having said that, to answer your questions:

CraigM wrote:
Would I be better off using zone 2 on the VSX-1021-K for the bathroom?

That kind of depends on your preference and future plans. You could take the ZONE 2 RCA outputs from the VSX and wire them to an input on the old receiver in your bathroom. This may give you more playback source options (TV, old tape deck, etc). If you'd planned on doing this kind of wiring to begin with, it might be a better option since you can control it with Indigo (though controlling the old receiver in the bathroom would still be a different story). If you didn't want to do as much wiring, the AirPort Express option would be the way to go. In my situation, I don't use Zone 2 on my VSX. I just use 4 AirPort Expresses in 4 different rooms and send audio from the Mac (or my various iOS devices) to those. Since I don't listen to the radio, CDs, or TV in other rooms generally, this isn't a limitation, but it might be for you if you do.

CraigM wrote:
- What are the rules of what can be played through zone 1, zone 2, and 1 & 2 at the same time?

With Zone 1, there are no input source limitations. With Zone 2, the only limitation I know of is that you can't pipe audio from any HDMI input to Zone 2. The analog and S/PDIF inputs can be sent to Zone 2. Both Zones 1 and 2 can be using the same input at the same time too.

CraigM wrote:
- Scenarios I can imagine:
* Zone 2 is programmed to power on the VSX-1021-K, but it may already be on from zone 1 use.
* Zone 2 is programmed to power off the VSX-1021-K, but that would kill zone 1 if in use.

Zone 1 and 2 can be turned on and off completely separately. Zone 2 can be turned on even if main power for zone 1 is off. When the VSX is setup to power Zone 2 speakers, it'll turn the amp on whenever Zone 2 is turned on, even if Zone 1 isn't. Basically, you can control the two Zones' power independently and turning on or off one won't affect the other.

The Pioneer Receiver plugin supports separate status information and controls for both zones as well, so you'll be able to control the 2 zones separately within Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:19 am
nsheldon offline

UPDATE: Version 0.9.5 posted (see original post for link).

Changes:

Virtual Volume Controller: Inspired by birkinet's Meta Device plugin, create any number of "Virtual Volume Controller" devices which appear as native dimmer devices in Indigo. Virtual Volume Controllers can be assigned to control either Zone 1 or Zone 2 volume levels. Use the ON and OFF conditions to control muting in a zone and the brightness level to control volume.

Posted on
Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:22 am
nsheldon offline

VERSION UPDATE: Version 0.9.5 posted.

Download version 0.9.5 here

Changes:

Virtual Volume Controller: Inspired by birkinet's Meta Device plugin, create any number of "Virtual Volume Controller" devices which appear as native dimmer devices in Indigo. Virtual Volume Controllers can be assigned to control either Zone 1 or Zone 2 volume levels. Use the ON and OFF conditions to control muting in a zone and the brightness level to control volume.

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 pm
nsheldon offline

UPDATE: Version 0.9.6 posted (see original post for link).

CHANGES:

Added "Next Stereo Listening Mode", "Next Auto Surround Listening Mode", "Next Advanced Surround Listening Mode", and "Select Listening Mode" actions to Actions.xml and plugin.py.
Added "Set Display Brightness" action to Actions.xml and plugin.py
Added "Set Sleep Timer" action to Actions.xml and plugin.py.
Changed names of surroundListeningMode and playbackListeningMode states to more accurately represent their function in the receiver. NOTE that if you upgrade from a previous version, this change will likely cause an error in the Indigo log related to a value not existing. Opening the device configuration dialog and saving it again will fix this.
Changed Devices.xml "Virtual Volume Controller" method used to list receiver devices in configuration dialog. (No UI or functional difference though).

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:14 pm
nsheldon offline

I've updated the first post in this thread to include basic setup and usage instructions.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:29 pm
nsheldon offline

VERSION UPDATE: Version 0.9.6 posted.

Download version 0.9.6 here

I've added basic instructions to the main Pioneer Receiver announcement post.

Changes:

• Added "Next Stereo Listening Mode", "Next Auto Surround Listening Mode", "Next Advanced Surround Listening Mode", and "Select Listening Mode" actions.
  • Added "Set Display Brightness" action.
  • Added "Set Sleep Timer" action.
  • Changed names of surroundListeningMode and playbackListeningMode to more accurately represent their function in the receiver.
  • Changed "Virtual Volume Controller" method used to list receiver devices in configuration dialog.

Posted on
Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:46 pm
nsheldon offline

UPDATE: Version 0.9.7 posted (see original post for link).

CHANGES:

WARNING: This version will disable all Pioneer Receiver devices and actions created prior to 0.9.7 due to a change in the Pioneer Receiver plugin ID. ALL Pioneer Receiver devices in Indigo must be re-defined with from within the UI. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Changed Pioneer Receiver's Indigo Plugin ID to be more consistent with other Nathan Sheldon Software plugin IDs.
Added "Power On/Off" state (internally: onOffState) for greater compatibility with other Indigo triggers and plugins.
Changed almost all boolean (true/false) states in VSX-1021-K devices to be on/off states to more clearly represent the various receiver feature states.