NOAA Weather Plus discussions

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:28 am
nsheldon offline

Re: NOAA Weather Plus discussions

Hi.

I believe that error is probably due to the same issues reported by eme jota ce. I've reported the issue to the NOAA web site administrator. I did receive a reply from them saying that they've forwarded the issue to a regional systems administrator. I don't know if/when they'll fix the issue.

Without editing the plugin.py file in the NOAA Weather Plus plugin, no, there's no way to "hard code" the URL in. However, you could change the latitude and longitude positions of your Weather Locale device in Indigo to a nearby more populated area that might work better.

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:44 am
eme jota ce offline

nsheldon wrote:
Thanks for the detailed debug log. As I feared, NOAA's servers are not providing the correct data. Note the URL in the 6th line from the top of the log you posted. That URL is supposed to obtain the XML data used by the NOAA Weather Plus plugin to populate all the device states. But if you try to go to that URL, you get a "page cannot be found" error. So something has changed with their system, at least for that location. When viewing the same page using my (on land) latitude and longitude coordinates, the XML is provided right away instead of the "not found" page. I've sent an email to the "Contact Us" address on NOAA's forecast.weather.gov web page reporting the broken URL. Hopefully they'll be able to track down the issue and resolve it, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them. :-) I'll let you know if/when I receive a reply from them.

Thanks. I also sent a message using the Contact Form.

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:10 am
kw123 offline

finally got the error again:

NOAA Weather Plus Debug Updating weather for device: NoaPlusLoveField
NOAA Weather Plus Debug Device NoaPlusLoveField using URL http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... on=-96.791
NOAA Weather Plus Debug Attempt # 1 at downloading and parsing weather data.
NOAA Weather Plus Error Unknown error getting weather for coordinates 32.865, -96.791: <urlopen error timed out>
NOAA Weather Plus Debug Attempt # 2 at downloading and parsing weather data.
NOAA Weather Plus Error Unknown error getting weather for coordinates 32.865, -96.791: <urlopen error timed out>
NOAA Weather Plus Debug Attempt # 3 at downloading and parsing weather data.
NOAA Weather Plus Debug Attempt # 4 at downloading and parsing weather data.

I guess the answer is a reload..

Karl

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:48 am
nsheldon offline

I did some googling on that error and it appears to be a common one with Python's urllib2 in versions of Python from 2.4 to 2.6. In 2.6, a timeout value could be added to the urlopen call which might help some, but doesn't really address the underlying issue of it sometimes does not connect and times out. Most people found eventually that it had something to do with proxy settings on their system, or they implemented a shorter timeout period. Unfortunately, because the NOAA Weather Plus plugin needs to be able to work on systems prior to Yosemite that use Python 2.5 instead of 2.6, I can't add any timeout values to the urlopen call. I'll continue to poke around at other solutions though.

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can set the timeout in 2.5, it just has to be set at the script level.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:53 am
eme jota ce offline

Is there a way to capture the water temp, tides, and other info. from this NOAA station?

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/statio ... id=8725110

Thanks.

mjc

Posted on
Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:48 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I get the same error every 15 minutes:

Code: Select all

NOAA Weather Plus Error         Unknown error getting weather for coordinates 38.96, -77.45: <urlopen error timed out>
NOAA Weather Plus Error         Unknown error getting weather for coordinates 38.96, -77.45: <urlopen error timed out>

Posted on
Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:42 pm
nsheldon offline

@mjc: It is probably possible, but I'm afraid I won't be able to do that any time soon as I've just relocated and don't have any indigo stuff installed or setup. The changes needed to get that data into the plugin would probably be non-trivial, but you're welcom to give it a shot if you like.

Posted on
Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:44 pm
nsheldon offline

@ryanbuckner: Yea. Unfortunately I can't fix that problem. The only workaround I know of (that works for me when those errors start) is to reload the plugin.

Posted on
Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:08 am
ryanbuckner offline

I get it. I was just offering more troubleshooting. There may be value in a "suppress errors" option if someone has time.

Posted on
Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:38 pm
eme jota ce offline

nsheldon wrote:
@mjc: It is probably possible, but I'm afraid I won't be able to do that any time soon as I've just relocated and don't have any indigo stuff installed or setup. The changes needed to get that data into the plugin would probably be non-trivial, but you're welcom to give it a shot if you like.

Thanks.
Good luck in your relocation. Python, plugins, etc. are beyond my skill level, but I'm very grateful for all the efforts you've put into developing, sharing, and supporting the plugin.

Posted on
Tue May 19, 2015 5:49 am
Seeker offline

just found this plugin. i've always wondered why the forecast data was not available in the built-in plugin. very nice.

Posted on
Tue May 19, 2015 9:43 am
nsheldon offline

Hi Seeker.

Glad you like the plugin. I believe the reason forecasts aren't included in the built-in plugin is because the forecast information feed from NOAA has historically been more unreliable than the current condition feed used in the built-in plugin. I think they went for reliability over features (a reasonable compromise IMO). It's always nice to have the choice to have more features though. :-)

Posted on
Sat May 23, 2015 6:21 am
Seeker offline

Thanks.

in the forecast data I see 'today', 'tomorrow', then 2nd day, 3rd day, etc.

just for clarification, 2nd day is the day after tomorrow?

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2015 1:51 am
nsheldon offline

Seeker wrote:
just for clarification, 2nd day is the day after tomorrow?

Correct. "Day After Tomorrow" was kind of long as a status name and "Day After Day After Tomorrow" was even longer, so I chose to use "2nd Day", "3rd Day", "4th Day", etc instead. I can see how that, too, could be confusing, though, if one considered Today to be the 1st Day and Tomorrow the 2nd Day. I chose to consider Today as the 0th Day. ;-)