Zigbee Door Sensor

Posted on
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:06 am
MarcoGT offline

Zigbee Door Sensor

Hi,

I plan to buy a generic Zigbee door sensor; I assume it will not work "out of the box"; the way is to add it like for any other bulbs?
Or the "device type" door sensor is not implemented?

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:53 am
kw123 offline

Re: Zigbee Door Sensor

Native indigo has no interface to zigbee

You need a gateway for the specific zigbee device. That has to translate to a web server or mqtt, …. then you can use other plugins to connect.

There are wifi and Bluetooth door sensors that have plugins that talk directly to those.

The wifi sensors - in my experience - have a short battery life (< 2 months )

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:50 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Zigbee Door Sensor

Hi Marco.

I don’t think the Hue bridge supports the door/window sensor type of ZigBee device. Since the Hue Lights plug-in only connects to the Hue bridge and not directly to any ZigBee interface, it can only be made to work with devices that can be used on the Hue bridge. And even if the bridge started to support that type of device, the plug-in would need a whole new category of device to be defined and programmed. That probably wouldn’t happen quickly.

For something that works right away in Indigo, you’ll probably need a Z-Wave interface and some Z-Wave door/window sensors. Wi-fi may work too as Karl suggested, but there’s the battery life issue.

Page 1 of 1