Hue Lights ErrNo 54

Posted on
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:51 am
bbruck offline

Hue Lights ErrNo 54

I'm having the same problem reported by someone else a while back - ErrNo 54. I've done the following:

1. Make sure your Hue bridge has the latest firmware installed.
2. Restart the Hue bridge.
3. Reboot the Mac running Indigo server.
4. Enable debug logging
5. Reload the plugin
6. Copy the log from when it starts to reload to where the error appears and paste it into your reply.

This is not the complete log from when I reloaded because it took half an hour for the first instance to occur, but once it did, I started the log and did a few commands until the error happened.
Attachments
Error log 2021-03-13.txt
(312.94 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Posted on
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:41 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Hue Lights ErrNo 54

Hi there.

Thanks for the error log. It looks like you've tried a lot already. Other than the error appearing in the log, are you seeing any degraded performance or encountering instances where things cannot be controlled?

The "connection reset by peer" error (error number 54) means that the Hue bridge accepted then immediately dropped the network connection from the Hue Lights plugin. Generally, this means the Hue bridge is overwhelmed and won't service the connection. Other than possibly inserting delays in the Hue Lights plugin connections to the bridge, there's not a lot the plugin can do to fix this. And it's no guarantee that solution would actually fix the issue. The Hue bridge has a pretty wimpy CPU. Philips actually only recommends a maximum of 50 lights and 12 non-light accessories (switches, buttons, motion sensors, etc), even though it's technically possible to pair more than that limit. The Hue Lights plugin asks the Hue bridge for an update of all the sensors every second (using a single request, specifically to avoid sending too many requests to the bridge). It's necessary to send a request every second in order to have useful motion detection. I don't know how many accessories you have (debug logs won't tell me that without the very beginning of the log), but if there are more than 12 accessories paired with the Hue bridge, the combination of frequent Hue Lights updates, Apple HomeKit, Alexa, Google Assistant and any other mobile or automation app talking to the Hue bridge can cause the Hue bridge to start dropping connections. If you have something like a Hue Play or similar that does color change streaming, that's going to bog down the Hue bridge as well whenever it's in use. There's an article here that talks about the Hue bridge limitations.

The only solutions I can think of are

1. Don't use any other home automation tools with the Hue bridge (i.e. no HomeKit, no Alexa, no Google Assistant, no other home automation app or device that talks to the Hue bridge)
  2. Reduce the number of triggered actions that interact with Hue devices, if possible.
  3. Get a second Hue bridge (though the Hue Lights plugin only supports 1 bridge. Support for a second bridge requires some hacking of the plugin, but it could be made to work with a second bridge).

However, if you aren't actually experiencing significant delays and lights are still responding okay, I'd just ignore the errors, keeping in mind that the Hue bridge is at its limit (i.e. don't add anything else to it).

Page 1 of 1