Small issue with the Pioneer plugin

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:54 am
yassi offline

Small issue with the Pioneer plugin

I'm using this plugin with my VSX-528 (I know, not officially supported, but it works for my needs) and have also created a virtual device called "Receiver".

Everytime when I want to turn it on, it gives me a connection error. The receiver is turned off, but connected all the time via the network (cable).
It doesn't turn on, i have to switch the virtual device off once, then turn it on back.
Then it works.

Is there a way to solve this?

Code: Select all
29. Oct 2020 at 17:34:40
   Action Group                    Receiver ein
   Virtual Devices                 sent "Receiver" on
   Trigger                         Set variable to true if Receiver is ON
   Pioneer Receiver Error          Failed to receive data from VSX-528: [Errno 54] Connection reset by peer
   Pioneer Receiver Error          Failed to send data to VSX-528: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
   VSX-528                         Connection established.
   VSX-528                         Gathering receiver system information.

29. Oct 2020 at 17:35:27
   Action Group                    Receiver aus
   Virtual Devices                 sent "Receiver" off
   Trigger                         Set variable to false if Receiver is OFF
   Action Group                    Receiver ein
   Virtual Devices                 sent "Receiver" on
   Trigger                         Set variable to true if Receiver is ON
   VSX-528                         Gathering receiver system information.
   VSX-528                         power (zone 1): on
   VSX-528                         volume (zone 1): -53.0 dB

29. Oct 2020 at 17:37:03
   Action Group                    Receiver aus
   Virtual Devices                 sent "Receiver" off
   Trigger                         Set variable to false if Receiver is OFF
   VSX-528                         power (zone 1): off

Yassi

Posted on
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:03 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: Small issue with the Pioneer plugin

Hi Yassi.

Thanks for the report. That's a bit odd. I do know that some of the Pioneer receivers require an initial wake-up connection to be sent before they respond to further messages. It's possible that's what's happening here. The initial message "wakes up" the receiver. I know with my VSX-1021-K, you need to have the "Network Standby" setting turned on so the receiver's network interface stays awake even when the receiver is in Standby mode (i.e. off). You might double-check that setting on yours. It's in the System Setup -> Network Setup menu on mine.

Posted on
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:27 am
yassi offline

nsheldon wrote:
Hi Yassi.

Thanks for the report. That's a bit odd. I do know that some of the Pioneer receivers require an initial wake-up connection to be sent before they respond to further messages. It's possible that's what's happening here. The initial message "wakes up" the receiver. I know with my VSX-1021-K, you need to have the "Network Standby" setting turned on so the receiver's network interface stays awake even when the receiver is in Standby mode (i.e. off). You might double-check that setting on yours. It's in the System Setup -> Network Setup menu on mine.
Hi Nathan.

Thanks.

The receiver is on network stand-by as far as I know, otherwise I could not access it at all via the plugin or the Pioneer apps.

Yassi

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:30 am
nsheldon offline

Which receiver model do you have selected for the Pioneer Receiver device in Indigo? Do any of the other models available in the plugin work when sending the Power On message?

Posted on
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:17 am
yassi offline

Hi Nathan,

I have the 1022-K selected.
As for yesterday it worked at first run, so I would like to keep an eye on it for the moment.

Yassi

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:01 am
nsheldon offline

Hi again Yassi.

I was thinking about this issue and, after reviewing the plugin code, I'm reminded that, unlike all the other Pioneer models from the same time period, the VSX-1022-K only accepts connections from the special TCP port 8102 and only accepts 1 connection at a time. With the other Pioneer receivers, they accept connections from both the standard telnet port 23 as well as the special port 8102 used by the iControlAV app. So, since you're using the VSX-1022-K model with the Pioneer Receiver plugin, the plugin only tries to connect to your VSX-528 on the port used by the iControlAV app. If you have any other device (an iPhone, iPad, etc) connected to your receiver at the same time, the receiver will refuse the connection from the plugin. I don't know if the receiver will drop the connection to the iControlAV app that's already connected. But this is likely the reason you're seeing that error. I'd suggest trying a different Pioneer model in the device settings window in Indigo. Of course, if the VSX-528 is like the VSX-1022-K and only accepts connections on the iControlAV port, then there's not really any way to work around the issue other than to never use the iControlAV app at the same time as the Pioneer Receiver plugin.

Hope that helps explain the likely cause of the error.

Posted on
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:39 pm
yassi offline

nsheldon wrote:
Hi again Yassi.

I was thinking about this issue and, after reviewing the plugin code, I'm reminded that, unlike all the other Pioneer models from the same time period, the VSX-1022-K only accepts connections from the special TCP port 8102 and only accepts 1 connection at a time. With the other Pioneer receivers, they accept connections from both the standard telnet port 23 as well as the special port 8102 used by the iControlAV app. So, since you're using the VSX-1022-K model with the Pioneer Receiver plugin, the plugin only tries to connect to your VSX-528 on the port used by the iControlAV app. If you have any other device (an iPhone, iPad, etc) connected to your receiver at the same time, the receiver will refuse the connection from the plugin. I don't know if the receiver will drop the connection to the iControlAV app that's already connected. But this is likely the reason you're seeing that error. I'd suggest trying a different Pioneer model in the device settings window in Indigo. Of course, if the VSX-528 is like the VSX-1022-K and only accepts connections on the iControlAV port, then there's not really any way to work around the issue other than to never use the iControlAV app at the same time as the Pioneer Receiver plugin.

Hope that helps explain the likely cause of the error.

Hi Nathan,

ok, thanks.

Well, the problem was, I'm not using Indigo and the iControl AV app at the same time, so it shouldn't be the cause.
Actually I use teh iControlAV very seldom, the way I want to turn on/off the receiver is via a virtual device with Homekit Bridge.
I've tried to switch to 1021K but wan't successful at all (no connection at all).
I will leave it on 1022K and try to turn it on/off a few times until it works.

Yassi

Page 1 of 1