Hue Zigbee Bulb Connectivity

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 am
rbdubz3 offline

Hue Zigbee Bulb Connectivity

A bit of a newbie with Hue Lights as I've been using Sylvania bulbs/fixtures. With the Sylvania Lightify bulbs, I do notice occasional connectivity issues whereby they are no longer reachable by the Zigbee mesh network. Most of the time the connectivity comes back after some time, but other times I have to completely kill power to the bulb.. These connectivity issues seem to be most frequent in the following scenarios:
- Table Lamps
- Outdoor Light Fixtures (yeah I realize these bulbs aren't necessarily rated for outdoors, but I live in coastal southern-cal)
- Ceiling Fan Fixtures - these are directly wired to power and not going thru a fan remote unit

Anyhow, I am considering switching some of these bulbs over to Philips Hue Zigbee ones, which are a lot more expensive than the Sylvania Lightify. Do Hue bulb users encounter similar types of intermittent connectivity failures that I describe above? Oh one note - I do have some of the outdoor Lily bulbs and so far these have been rock-solid in terms of Zigbee connectivity. I am hoping to help justify the expense for replacing some of my bulbs in lamps and fixtures. Thanks!!

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Sat May 16, 2020 1:47 am
Coolcaper offline

Re: Hue Zigbee Bulb Connectivity

I have quite a few Sylvania Osram Lightify colour bulbs, down lights and outdoor garden spotlights. I also have quite a few Philips hue bulbs/strip.
There is a massive difference between the lightify and hue solutions in that the hue bulbs have been pretty much rock solid compared to the Lightifys in terms of connectivity and response. Failure rate has also been high with the Lightify bulbs.
Seems the old adage of you get what you paid for holds true here. I am slowly replacing the Lightify bulbs with hues as I go or looking at alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat May 16, 2020 7:58 am
rbdubz3 offline

Re: Hue Zigbee Bulb Connectivity

Awesome - thanks for the info Coolcaper, that is great to hear that your experience has been alot better with Hue bulbs (or maybe you own alota Philips stock :wink: ) . The Sylvania Lightify bulb connectivity is definitely the weakest link in my setup right now - makes it still feel like a 'hobby' and not something reliable (and wife-friendly)

Looks like I will be following a similar approach - starting with the ones that are the most difficult to cycle power - inside the ceiling fans.. I did see that Costco USA is carrying a fair amount of Hue products - A19s and BR30s

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Page 1 of 1