Changed IP for Hub, but bulbs keep old IP

Posted on
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:33 pm
sumocomputers offline

Changed IP for Hub, but bulbs keep old IP

I am running Hue Lights plugin 1.7.19 on Indigo 7.4 with Catalina.

I had to change the IP address of the Hub and changed that in the plugin configuration.

Old = 192.168.2.85
New = 192.168.20.85

Even though I can turn bulbs on and off fine, in the Indigo UI, each bulb still shows the old IP. See attached screenshots.

I rebooted the entire computer, as well as selected "Reload Hue Hub Config", but still showing the same.

I don't want to delete and re-add each device, since there are so many triggers, groups, and schedules that reference them.

Although this could be a cosmetic/UI issue, it sure pushes my OCD buttons...

Thanks,

Chris

1.jpg
1.jpg (306.83 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (137.93 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:38 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Changed IP for Hub, but bulbs keep old IP

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the report. The Address field is strictly a reference for users and doesn't actually affect operation (as you've noticed). That said, if we're going to have a reference in the Address field, it should be meaningful. I'll work on getting that corrected in a future version of the Hue Lights plugin. For now, though, you can either ignore the incorrect address, or re-define the device (by double-clicking it in Indigo, selecting a different Type from the pop-up menu then re-selecting Hue Lights as the Type and selecting the correct Model from the Model pop-up menu).

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:54 am
sumocomputers offline

The instructions worked perfectly. On a related side note:

If I need to factory reset the Hue Hub, will I be able to re-establish all the connections, without losing all the Indigo references to specific bulbs?

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:15 pm
nsheldon offline

Great! I’m glad that workaround fixed it for you.

As for factory resetting the hub, there’s no easy way to retain Hue device associations with Indigo because a factory reset resets all the hub’ s internally assigned device IDs. If you have to factory reset the Hue bridge, you’ll have to go through the same reset process you just used to reset the Address value for every Hue Lights device in Indigo, except that you’ll need to set ALL Hue Lights devices to a different Type before setting the Type back to Hue Lights.

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:46 pm
sumocomputers offline

nsheldon wrote:
Great! I’m glad that workaround fixed it for you.

As for factory resetting the hub, there’s no easy way to retain Hue device associations with Indigo because a factory reset resets all the hub’ s internally assigned device IDs. If you have to factory reset the Hue bridge, you’ll have to go through the same reset process you just used to reset the Address value for every Hue Lights device in Indigo, except that you’ll need to set ALL Hue Lights devices to a different Type before setting the Type back to Hue Lights.

The process I just went through was not bad at all, so I am good with that. I am more concerned about all the triggers I have referencing various bulbs.

Am I correct in understanding I shouldn't have to touch these parts of Indigo?

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:15 pm
nsheldon offline

Correct. If you use the device redefinition process above, you shouldn’t have to worry about triggers and other references to the Indigo devices.

Page 1 of 1