Reset the Hue hub and now lights are all mixed up

Posted on
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:43 am
evansgo offline

Reset the Hue hub and now lights are all mixed up

OK I've been doing some fairly major network changes and at one point I needed to factory reset my hub. This is now all sorted and working using the app, but Indigo is not at all happy....

This is because now all the hue lights do not match with the ones listed in indigo. Is there an easy way to re-pair them without deleting all the devices? I cannot just edit them one by one as they still seem to have a relationship withe the old lamp even though it won't work and unfortunately I have 44 bulbs so its going to take a while!

If I go to edit device settings initially as expected after a reset the hue device shows up as blank, so I select the correct bulb, then I get the message saying that 'This Hue Device is being controlled by XXXXX indigo device. Choose a different bulb to control.' XXXXX being one of my other bulbs.

Hope that makes sense...

Posted on
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: Reset the Hue hub and now lights are all mixed up

Sorry to hear about all the trouble.

The short answer is that there is a solution, but it's not an easy solution.

The Hue Lights plugin keeps track of each light based on the ID number assigned to the light by the Hue bridge. That ID number seems to be mostly based on the order in which the light was paired with the Hue bridge. If you reset the bridge to factory defaults and re-pair all the lights, the bridge starts the numbering scheme from ID number 1 all over again, increasing the ID number as you re-pair each light.

In order to associate the new device IDs assigned by the Hue bridge with the correct Indigo devices, you'll need to first redefine each Hue Lights plugin controlled Indigo device as being controlled by a different plugin (say, Virtual Devices). Once every one of your Hue Lights controlled Indigo devices have been changed to Virtual Devices controlled devices, you can then go through the process of redefining each one as a Hue Lights controlled device again and you'll be able to select the correct Hue device without errors. So, try this...

1. Open the Indigo client on your computer and click the "Interfaces" menu. Ensure that the "Virtual Devices" interface is enabled. If it isn't, point to the "Virtual Devices" menu item then click on the "Enable" sub-menu item to enable that interface. You'll use the Virtual Devices type of device to temporarily redefine all of your Hue Lights devices as Virtual Devices.
  2. Click the "Devices" category heading (not the expansion triangle, but the heading itself) at the top left of the Indigo window so all devices are showing in the list of devices to the right.
  3. Click the "Protocol" heading in the device list to sort all your Indigo devices alphabetically by protocol name. Scroll down to where the list of "Hue Lights" type protocol devices begins.
  4. Double-click on the first Hue Lights protocol device. In the Edit Device window that appears, from the "Type" pop-up menu, select "Virtual Devices". Leave the "Model" pop-up menu as is (no need to select a model) and close the Edit Device window. This will break the association of that device with the Hue Lights plugin.
  5. Repeat the above step for every one of the Hue Lights protocol devices until there are no Hue Lights protocol devices in your device list.
  6. Now you have a list of Virtual Devices that are all disable (because they have no model selected). Scroll through the Indigo device list until you get to the top of the Virtual Devices protocol devices.
  7. Double-click on the first Virtual Devices protocol device. In the Edit Device window that appears, from the "Type" pop-up menu, select "Hue Lights". From the "Model" pop-up menu, select the model category of Hue device associated with the device, such as "Hue Color/Ambiance" or "Hue LightStrips" etc. A new Configure window will appear to select the Hue device from that category. Select the correct device from the "Hue Device" pop-up menu then set the other preferences as desired before clicking the "Save" button to associate the Hue Device with the Indigo device.
  8. Repeat the above step for every one of the Virtual Devices protocol devices until there are no disabled Virtual Devices in your device list (unless you previously had other Virtual Devices, which can be left as-is).

Yes, this is a pain in the ass. But it's the only solution I can think of for fixing device associations after a Hue bridge factory reset. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 1