Hue Signe Floor Lamp

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 am
abplus offline

Hue Signe Floor Lamp

Hi all,

I'm having issues with the new Hue Signe floor lamp. The plugin controls it fine but I'm finding everyday that when my action group to turn off all the sitting room lights at bedtime runs the Signe lamp stays on. If I send the command again it doesn't always turn off and I end up having to go into the Hue app and turning it off manually (horrors !).

Does the plugin fire and forget or does it check that actions have completed successfully ?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:37 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Hue Signe Floor Lamp

Hi Andrew.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the lamp.

The Hue Lights plugin uses the exact same commands as the Hue app on your mobile device to communicate with the Hue bridge, so if a command works in the Hue app but not in the plugin, the plugin may not be able to communicate with the Hue bridge correctly, or the bridge is only able to reach the Signe lamp intermittently. The Hue Lights plugin sends a command to the Hue bridge and waits for the bridge to reply with a success or error response. But the bridge won't reply with an error even if it can't actually reach the light. It tells the plugin the command was received successfully, but may report that the light is temporarily unreachable. Are there errors in the Indigo event log? Does the Signe lamp ever show a "disconnected" status in the Indigo client? Errors in the log would indicate a network issue or Hue bridge communication issue. A "disconnected" status corresponds to the bridge's ability to communicate with the light. If the Hue bridge reports the light is unreachable, the Signe lamp status will show "disconnected" periodically. Changing ZigBee channels from within the Hue app may help fix this issue.

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:35 am
abplus offline

Hi Nathan,

Thanks very much for your quick reply. My Hue bridge is right next to the Mac mini with the wave stick in it so that probably isn't helping ! I'll move the bridge tonight and see if things improve. The Signe lamp often shows as unreachable, I guess the fact that the receiver is located in the base down at floor level won't do wonders for reception. I'll do some experimenting.

Thanks again and thanks very much for the plugin, it's brilliant.

Kindest regards,

Andrew.

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:40 pm
nsheldon offline

Hi Andrew.

Glad to help. Yes, since the ZigBee wireless protocol used by the Hue system uses the same frequency band as all 2.4 GHz WiFi systems, some cordless phones, most microwave ovens and all Bluetooth devices (as well as poorly shielded USB 3 devices), if the Hue bridge is near any of those devices, range and reliability will be affected. Same is true for any Hue device like lights or switches. Proximity to any of those types of 2.4 GHz emitting sources will degrade reliability. They should probably make that warning more prominently displayed in their documentation.

Anyway, let us know if reorientation helps.

Page 1 of 1