Failing Hue Hub v2

Posted on
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:53 am
Busta999 offline

Failing Hue Hub v2

Just a note for others...

The Hue Hub 2 that I installed in 2015 started failing.

Lights going on randomly in the house.
Hub kept going offline...
When online suddenly declaring all lights and accessories no longer in the Hub.

I had a second hub handy so moved everything across to the new hub - a very painful process indeed.

Then get the Alexa up to speed - another extremely painful process.

Then I started to update Indigo, after changing the IP of the Hue Plugin - pretty much every single bulb (60+) and accessories (15 odd) which was much easier than all of them.

I am sure there is a better way of migrating from one Hue Hub to another - but I was unable to find one.

I have raised a support case with Philips a few days ago.. not had a response yet.

Posted on
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:38 am
Busta999 offline

Re: Failing Hue Hub v2

Correction.....

It was a total mess... :-)

It looked ok, but each bulb was assigned to another random bulb, each sensor randomly assigned elsewhere.

To correct was proving extremely challenging - Can't connect the Dining Ceiling Light to Dining Ceiling Light because it is currently controlled by Guest Bed Left, so you try to correct Guest Bed Left but is connected to Kitchen Spot 6 etc etc.

So Time to wipe all Hue devices from Indigo an Start all over.

In my case 100 odd devices (a motion sensor is three devices in Indigo).

On re-think I will only probably add Hue Groups for lights - I rarely ask Indigo to do specific lights (bedrooms maybe) and the Motion Sensors + Temp and maybe Luminance for outdoor light detection levels.

This will require the reseting of numerous Triggers/Schedules and Action Groups as well as Control Pages not to mention MatPlotLib.

A big task for a failed Hub :-)

Hue Support came back - there is no mechanism for backing up a Hub or migrating from a Hub 2 to anything else.

It appears that while the Hue has been extremely reliable for the last 4 years there are limits to its use in a small/regular home and I am bouncing off these limits.

63 bulbs (currently using 53 lights)
15 Rooms (currently using 15 rooms)
64 Groups (currently using 49 [not sure how/where])
64 Sensors (currently using 49 [not sure how where 13 Motion Sensor and 1 of 3 switches]) - Possibly 3 sensors per Motion and 4 for the 1 Switch currently added On/Off up/down buttons not sure about the remaining 6 sensors

After resetting the Hub 2 back to factory settings - it appears to have stabilised - I am only running it with one bulb so not much in loading.

The new Hub I am using is a Hub 2.1 so hopefully will do better.

Page 1 of 1