Best practice to use Hue only through Indigo vs with HomeKi?

Posted on
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:56 am
Different Computers offline

Best practice to use Hue only through Indigo vs with HomeKi?

By which I mean: Should I add my HomeKit compatible Hue hub to HomeKit, or only access the Hue ecosystem through Indigo via something like HomeKit Bridge?

I have a few Nanoleaf panels that are both, and those work fine, but I have many many more Hue lights and they're in many more, more complex automations. And I also have them exposed to Siri via HomeBridge Kit though Indigo. I could undo this part, and do native HomeKit instead.

What have other users done?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:43 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Best practice to use Hue only through Indigo vs with Hom

Hi.

Sorry no one ever replied to you on this. I thought I'd resurrect this dead thread as it's a good question.

For me, I've added my Hue bridge to HomeKit directly rather than proxying through Indigo and HomeBridge. My main reasons for this are

• I don't use HomeKit for any automation tasks. I only use it for Siri status and control.
  • Having Indigo and HomeBridge proxy HomeKit requests to the Hue bridge just adds another possible point of failure. If HomeBridge or Indigo Server fails, HomeKit control of Hue stuff will still work as a backup.

HomeKit has a maximum of 100 devices. Just something to remember when adding devices to HomeKit through HomeBridge (and any other HomeKit compatible bridge).

Page 1 of 1