Replace Hue Bridge

Posted on
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:57 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Replace Hue Bridge

Hey,

For some reason my Hue system has gone super flaky. At times some lights work, some don’t, then they will work
and others won’t. Guessing it’s a communication issue but relocating the bridge doesn’t change anything so
I have a new bridge on order.

I know the data from the old one can be transferred in the Hue app to the new one but thought I’d
check if my Alexa bridges will be effected or if there was anything else to watch out for?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:53 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: Replace Hue Bridge

Hi Carl.

I don't know about the Alexa stuff. You might try posting that question in an Alexa forum. As for the flakiness of the Hue system, you might also try changing the ZigBee channel (that's in the Hue app on your iOS/Android device -> Settings -> Bridges -> "i" info icon for your bridge -> ZigBee channel change). Maybe there's some new 2.4 GHz interference in your area causing the communication issues. Changing the ZigBee channel may help.

As for the Hue Lights plugin integration with a new bridge, that should work okay, though you may have to pair the plugin with the new bridge. Hopefully the transfer process from one bridge to another won't change the Hue device IDs. If so, you'd have to edit each Hue Lights device in Indigo to re-select the correct Hue device on the new bridge. Perhaps others who have had to transfer data from one bridge to another will have more information on this.

Posted on
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks Nathan. I had tried changing the channel which seemed to help a bit, but still wonky.
I’ll post back with how it went.

Carl

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 am
Different Computers offline

Along a similar line, I'm about to replace my V1 bridge with a V2.

Any gotchas/cautions/best practices for how to do this, especially as relates to Indigo and the Hue Lights plugin?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2019 11:02 am
siclark offline

Same here. Interested to see if people see improvements after upgrading. My issue is I see some commands not work, or take >10 seconds whether from a hue switch, hue app or from indigo actions. Then next 10 times it will be instant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2019 11:07 am
nsheldon offline

Not that I can remember. But it was years ago that I migrated to the v2 bridge, so there may have been something that I just don’t recall. I do know that there’s a possibility that if the Hue device IDs get changed as a result of the migration, you’ll have to open each of the Hue Lights devices in Indigo and re-select the corresponding Hue device on the bridge. But that shouldn’t happen if the bridge migration process in the Hue app goes well.

Posted on
Wed May 29, 2019 2:20 pm
Different Computers offline

This went incredibly smoothly, just in case anyone wonders. Not sure if anyone is left running a V1 bridge--which I'm now happy to offer to anyone for the cost of shipping, or free to anyone who develops a published Indigo plugin.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1