Playsound unavailable from Microcosmsoftware

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:10 am
Vangelis offline

Playsound unavailable from Microcosmsoftware

Seems they might have gone bust. Don't particularly want to download it from a wonky shareware site either. Does anyone have the install file or a good link to the source. Would like to use this plugin.

Vangelis

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:33 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: Playsound unavailable from Microcosmsoftware

Hi Vangelis.

Unfortunately I don't know of any download mirrors for the PlaySound application. I'll see if I can find some way to share that application since the Announcer plugin requires it.

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Nathan, I wonder if you could substitute the /usr/bin/afplay command in place of it... :?:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:55 am
nsheldon offline

@Vangelis: It looks like CNet's Download web site, annoying as it is, does host a mirror of the most recent version of PlaySound (1.6.7) before development ended. You can download the application from their site at http://download.cnet.com/Play-Sound/300 ... 25096.html for now.

@Jay: Thanks for the suggestion. Yea, I'm sure I could modify the plugin to use the "afplay" built-in command-line utility instead of using the appscript Python libraries to send AppleScript commands to Play Sound. It's been a while since I looked at the Announcer plugin code (2013 in fact), but I'm pretty sure I considered using "afplay" and decided against it because it was easier to launch Play Sound, sending it a file path and telling it to run in the background than it was to execute afplay from a Python subprocess and deal with tracking the child afplay process from within the plugin code. I may have to look at using afplay again though.

Posted on
Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 am
Vangelis offline

Thanks all - Got it from CNET in the end. Works like a charm!

Vangelis

Page 1 of 1