Cree Connected control via Hue Hub and plugin?

Posted on
Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:53 pm
richy240 offline

Cree Connected control via Hue Hub and plugin?

I was lucky enough, if you will, to get my hands on a Cree Connected bulb from Home Depot (they're only $15!). I've successfully paired it with my Hue Hub (it's just a regular Zigbee bulb) but I can't see it in the Hue plugin.

The plugin is seeing the bulb, sorta, as you can see from the log entries below (I only have this and a regular Hue bulb in use currently), but when I go to add it as a device in Indigo it's not appearing in the Hue plugin dialog. I assume it should/would be under LivingWhites (since it lists Generic as part of that group), but maybe it's too new, or too generic, to be seen by the plugin just yet.

Code: Select all
  Hue Lights                      Loaded 2 lights.
  Hue Lights                      Loaded 0 groups.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just not supported? (Yet?) :lol: And if you do plan on supporting it, is there any information I can give you that might help?

Thanks for a great plugin!!

Posted on
Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:32 pm
protean offline

Re: Cree Connected control via Hue Hub and plugin?

I did the same thing and have the same results. Home Depot Cree Connected bulb that linked with the Zigbee certified Hue hub and can control with the Hue app ok but can't find it with the super excellent Hue Indigo plugin.

Posted on
Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:28 pm
loafbread offline

Same here but I modified the plugin and it works!

Enabling debug in the Plugin revealed that the Cree bulb is not returning a 'modelid'. It returns a blank ''. So I added '' to the kLivingWhitesDeviceIDs variable in the plugin.py file of Nathan's excellent plugin.
Here is the modified statement in version 1.3.10:
kLivingWhitesDeviceIDs = ['LWB001', 'LWB003', 'LWB004', 'LWL001', 'ZLL Light', '']
Notice the , '' at the end of the list. I reloaded the plugin after the edit.
When defining a Cree choose the "LivingWhites" model. Now it works.

Nathan, I know this is not an elegant solution but I was glad to see that it worked. I suppose the right fix is to get Cree to include a modelid. Do you know if the modelid is a part of the ZigBee standard? If so, I will ask Cree to add a model in their future bulbs. :)

Thanks again Nathan for such a great plugin. My Indigo server is in one town and the Hue hub is in an apartment in another town. I have an ipsec tunnel between the two locations and the Hue Plugin works great.

Fyi, the debug output for the Cree bulb.
{u'name': u'Cree Bulb', u'swversion': u'420 ', u'pointsymbol': {u'1': u'none', u'3': u'none', u'2': u'none', u'5': u'none', u'4': u'none', u'7': u'none', u'6': u'none', u'8': u'none'}, u'state': {u'on': False, u'reachable': True, u'bri': 254, u'alert': u'none'}, u’uniqueid': u'e2:0d:b9:ff:fe:00:62:1f-0a', u'type': u'Dimmable light', u'modelid': u''}, u'4':

Posted on
Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:50 am
richy240 offline

Holy crap it does work! :lol:

Thanks for the tip. I had dug as far as the debug output and noticed there was no obvious identifier for the bulb, but I never thought to fiddle with the plugin myself. I think I need to start being a little more adventurous. :P

Posted on
Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:47 am
protean offline

Hey, thank you loafbread for that easy fix. Knowing it isn't permanent it's nice to at least be able to experiment and plan for the Cree lights.

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:19 pm
nsheldon offline

Hey guys. Interesting!

No I don't know of the modelId is a zigbee standard. It's unfortinate that it lacks one though. It'll makie adding it in the next plugin version... Interesting. Ha.

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:51 pm
protean offline

I just did a new Indigo install and the fix from loafbread is still required to get Cree bulbs to show up in the device list.

Posted on
Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:57 am
nsheldon offline

I think for now, loafbread's solution will be the best option. As he said, it's not elegant (or necessarily a good idea from a support perspective), so I don't currently plan on using his solution in any released version of the plugin. Obviously, anyone is welcome to modify the plugin as they see fit on their own system. The problem (for me) in adding a blank modelID as a recognized device is that any device that doesn't provide a modelID to the Hue hub then becomes treated as a LivingWhites device. What if the device supports color? What if it supports color temperature? So then I start getting support requests for more devices that have no modelID but have different capabilities and no easy way to differentiate them within the plugin. There's probably a better way to allow unrecognized devices within the plugin rather than simply adding a blank modelID to the LivingWhites list. I still have to think about what that solution should be.

Posted on
Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:09 am
BassMint offline

Thx. I was about to try some of the Cree's. Going to stick with the GE Links, the work with the Hue and Plugin no problem, so far. They are the same price at HomeDepot.

Posted on
Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:38 am
foolio offline

Hi Nathan,
I'm using a couple of the Cree bulbs. When I first set them up I follow the hack above since the bulbs do not return an ID.
(adding '' to the kLivingWhitesDeviceIDs variable in the plugin.py file).

However I'm now getting this error again.
Hue Lights Error The "Nook Lamp Cree 1" device has an unrecognized model ID of "". Hue Lights plugin does not support this device.

I have found the kLivingWhitesDeviceIDs which is now in the supportedDevices.py file, and I see there is a LWB003 which = " " "
But I still get the above error.

If I just add " to the end of the line in the supportedDevices.py file, then the plugin will not start.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:25 am
nsheldon offline

Hello.

You're editing the right file. However, the line you're talking about is a comment line, so making changes to that line won't add the blank device ID to any list. The reason the plugin won't start when adding an extra double-quote to the line is because the combination of so many double-quote characters is actually a special exception in the Python language.

To add IDs to a list, add the device ID enclosed in single quotes to the end of one of the list variables already defined. The lines start with "kHueBulbDeviceIDs", "kLivingColorsDeviceIDs", "kLightStripsDeviceIDs" and "kLivingWhitesDeviceIDs". Since you're adding a device that has a blank ID, add two single quotes to the end of the kLivingWhitesDeviceIDs list near the bottom of the file. Be sure you use two single quotes and not one double-quote. Those mean different things in Python.

Posted on
Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:20 pm
foolio offline

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that tonight.

Posted on
Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:39 pm
foolio offline

Thanks again Nathan. That fixed it. I was editing the correct line, but I was using a double quote instead of 2 single quotes.

Posted on
Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:34 am
nsheldon offline

Awesome! Glad that worked.

Posted on
Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:44 pm
loafbread offline

I updated my post to adapt to the supportedDevices.py file.

Enabling debug in the Plugin revealed that the Cree bulb is not returning a 'modelid'. It returns a blank ''. So I added '' to the kLivingWhitesDeviceIDs variable in the supportedDevices.py file of Nathan's excellent plugin.
Here is the modified statement in version 1.3.17:
kLivingWhitesDeviceIDs = ['LWB001', 'LWB003', 'LWB004', 'LWB006', 'LWL001', 'ZLL Light', 'FLS-PP3 White', 'HML004','']
Notice the , '' at the end of the list. That is two single quote ('). I reloaded the plugin after the edit.
When defining a Cree choose the "LivingWhites" model. Now it works.