NOAA Weather Plus Memory Usage

Posted on
Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:34 pm
RogueProeliator offline

NOAA Weather Plus Memory Usage

Nathan:

I am seeing some very high memory usage by the NOAA Weather Plus plugin -- approximately 650MB, in fact. I realized I was on v1.14, so I upgraded to v1.17 and am seeing the same usage. It looks like when it first loads it immediately jumps to this usage, not building up over time.

Just curious if this is expected or indicative of an issue with my setup?

Thanks!
Adam

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:47 am
nsheldon offline

Re: NOAA Weather Plus Memory Usage

Hi Adam.

Indeed it does appear to use about 645 MB of memory on my system as well. I've never noticed this before, but I'm betting it's always been that way. Since my system has always had quite a bit of RAM, memory considerations were never something I needed to consider. However, 645 MB is a LOT of memory for one plugin to be using. Given that it goes from 0 to ~650 MB of memory usage within about 10 seconds of loading, I'm betting it's either something to do with how the Python XML parser stores data or the fact that it has so many states that all have to be kept track of by Indigo's plugin manager, causing heavy memory usage. I'm not a computer scientist and plugin programming is really just a hobby. I have no idea which portion is causing the memory usage and wouldn't really know how to figure that out. If the ~650 MB of RAM usage is too much for your system, you'll probably have to stick with the default NOAA Weather plugin that comes with Indigo, or try one of the other weather plugins some of the other users here have made.

Regards,
Nathan

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:23 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: NOAA Weather Plus Memory Usage

Indeed it does appear to use about 645 MB of memory on my system as well. I've never noticed this before, but I'm betting it's always been that way. Since my system has always had quite a bit of RAM, memory considerations were never something I needed to consider. However, 645 MB is a LOT of memory for one plugin to be using.

Thanks, it is just surprised me as to the memory usage is all and wanted to see if that was to be expected... but sounds like it is normal. I'm not hurting for RAM either, so will just leave well enough alone for now.

Given that it goes from 0 to ~650 MB of memory usage within about 10 seconds of loading, I'm betting it's either something to do with how the Python XML parser stores data or the fact that it has so many states that all have to be kept track of by Indigo's plugin manager, causing heavy memory usage. I'm not a computer scientist and plugin programming is really just a hobby. I have no idea which portion is causing the memory usage and wouldn't really know how to figure that out.

Some of the XML parsers that load the entire structure into memory are definitely known to be memory hogs, though I am surprised it wouldn't drop once you were through with the objects. But no matter, it seems to top out at a static point and not be a leak exactly so though large at least the memory usage is known/fixed size from that I can tell.

Thanks for the reply!
Adam

Page 1 of 1