Hue Lights discussion

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:29 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Hue Lights discussion

Hi.

It sounds a lot like something happened to the Hue hub, since all 7 of your lights became unreachable at the same time but still come on with the wall switch.

Replacing the hub can definitely be a pain. However, you might be able to migrate from the old v1 bridge to the new v2 bridge. There are instructions on how to do this here. That should (in theory anyway) save you from having to make changes in Indigo other than specifying the new bridge's IP address in the Hue Lights configuration. However, if you can't migrate the v1 config to the v2 bridge, or the migration process changes the device ID values (which is what the Hue Lights plugin uses to identify each device on the Hue bridge), you'll have to manually change all 7 Hue Lights devices in Indigo to point to the correct Hue devices on the new Hue bridge.

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:43 am
jltnol offline

Thanks for the info. I can easily assign the same IP address to the new hub, so hopefully that will help things along. Haven't read the instructions yet, but even if I need to re-configure everything, at the very least, I know how to do it. And since I haven't changed things in years, this might be a good time to start over with my Hue Lights, and see what else I can do with v.2 of the hub and latest version of the Indigo plugin anyway.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, and THANK YOU for the awesome plugin! Although I already had a few Hue Lights, your plugin was the reason why I started down this long (and usually fun) road of HA with Indigo so many years ago.

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:59 am
nsheldon offline

Glad I could help, and that you're enjoying the plugin. It's always fun (for me anyway) to share technology. Best of luck with your bridge config migration.

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:25 pm
jltnol offline

Ugh!
So new Hub but still no Hue Lights. All searches for lights come up with nothing. I also can't add them via the serial number either, as the hub can't / won't find them.

First, do you know if once bulbs are "married" to a hub, they can't marry a new hub until the previous arrangement is broken?

Second, if that is the case, do you know of a way to reset a bulb tat is not currently connected?

We've had some electrical storms lately, that and some power surges... any one which may have fried the Hub Bulbs. The old Hub only had a power light and a network light, so I'm pretty sure it was done for alway. The new hub has those two lights plus the "globe" light, which I assume means the network for the bulbs them selves...

I might add that all of my lamps are very early versions.....'

Quick Update: Just bought a new Hue Light... and was able to add it to the new hub just as designed. Then I deleted it from the new hub, fired up the old hub, but wasn't able to pair it, so SOMETHING happened that fried the communications on both the bulbs AND the my old hub, all in one fell swoop... :(. This will be expensive to replace...... And I might add that the old hub is on a UPS, which should filter out any electrical spikes, so something strange has happened.

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:50 pm
nsheldon offline

It's possible something happened to all of your old Hue bulbs.

I did find this support article which may help, but you need a Hue Dimmer Switch for it to work, and it may not work with the original Hue bulbs, not sure. Unlike other brands, the Hue bulbs don't appear to have a simple factory reset procedure involving flipping the power to the bulb multiple times. Apparently, factory resetting bulbs has to either be done from the Hue bridge (by deleting them from the bridge) or using the Hue Dimmer Switch method above.

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:58 pm
jltnol offline

May try the dimmer.... but do you know if the bulbs can only be paired to one hub at a time? This does make sense but don't have enough "parts" to test this.

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:05 pm
nsheldon offline

I’m pretty sure the lights can only be paired to one hub at a time, but I’m not positive and don’t have any way of testing myself either. Hope the dimmer option works.

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:00 pm
jltnol offline

Ahhhhhh! Some Good News!!! :lol:

Tech support for Hue via Facebook was very responsive. I did NOT get a feeling the message responses were with a AI/Robot... seemed like a real person... but who knows. So we were right... bulbs can only be paired with one hub at a time, and when a hub goes out, there has to be some method of recovery for lights that were paired with that hub.

Hue makes a Java app that connected to my new hub, and, thru a lot of trial and error(I tried each bulb several times....), I was able to pair all my old Hue lights with my new hue Hub.

Here is the link for the Java app in case this happens to anyone else. Not sure how long this link will stay active, but I'll keep a copy should some one need it in the future. One note... without understanding how this process really works, when bulbs weren't found with the Java app, I was actually able to add them via the serial number, so I'm thinking the Java app must have un-paired them, but didn't allow them to be paired with my new hub. This process isn't as easy as it sounds, but perseverance got them all back up and running again.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/65f16e8a288396c2be750c498f4ed0ff20210803010002/b3d8b0?fbclid=IwAR17DtA0HZnA9t1zy9UAaD2hTYpsG1j488DU9FSN_DnTE04Zc3aK_AcWyfs

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:04 pm
nsheldon offline

That’s great news! I’m glad you were able to recover all the original lights and that the Hue support was so helpful. Thanks for the link as well. Happy automating!

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:29 pm
makedrinklas offline

Nathan, thanks so much for adding in the Hue Signe floor lamp. I'm absolutely overjoyed to now have them be a part of our Indigo setup! Fantastic work!

Posted on
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:20 pm
makedrinklas offline

Nathan – I have one more Hue device that I'd like to know if you can integrate with Indigo and your (f)awesome plugin.

I've purchased a Hue Sync Box and it's pretty darn cool. The one inconvenience though is that I have to launch an app and then start syncing to enable it every time I start up the TV and Hue Signe lights. I was wondering if that were something you can also adapt? I would definitely make another contribution for this feature!

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/explo ... nc-with-tv

Posted on
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:47 pm
nsheldon offline

Hi again.

I'm glad the plugin has been working out so well for you.

As for the Hue Sync integration, I've looked into it and it appears they use a completely different API for the Hue Sync stuff. Existing light and sensor integrations can't really be adapted to interact with the Sync features. It also appears that, in order to start Hue Sync from a television or other HDMI source, that has to be initiated from the Hue Sync Box itself, not the Hue bridge (which is what the plugin talks to). It looks like a whole new plugin would need to be developed just to interact with Hue Sync. Unfortunately, the time required for that would be more than the amount of time I have available. Sorry I couldn't help more with that.

Posted on
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:33 pm
makedrinklas offline

No worries! I appreciate the thoughtful explanation. :D Thanks again for making this great plugin for so many users!

Posted on
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:10 pm
michaelu offline

Philips Hue White ambiance E12 candelabra bulb

Greetings, I have two of the Philips Hue White ambiance E12 candelabra bulb's and they don't show up under any device setting in Indigo - last time this happened you asked me to provide a screen shot / data of the light info, that is attached, do these need to be added or am I missing what category they are under:

Light Type:
Hue ambiance candle

Manufacturer:
Signify Netherlands B.V.

Model:
LTE001

Software:
Attachments
IMG_DBDE0F31002B-1.jpeg
IMG_DBDE0F31002B-1.jpeg (141.59 KiB) Viewed 2435 times

Posted on
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:26 pm
nsheldon offline

Thanks for the report.

I'll add support for that bulb in the next patch release.

Page 90 of 103 1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 103