Watchdog Plugin

Posted on
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:08 am
racarter offline

Watchdog Plugin

I've just uploaded a new plugin called Watchdog, which monitors a user-created list of Indigo devices and sends a Pushover notification to your phone or laptop if a device has not updated for a specified timeout period. I used to monitor several devices with a combination of triggers, timers and action groups, but this solution is more elegant.

Only myself and my trusty beta tester have used the plugin so far, but everything seems to work well. If you'd like to try it out it's at:

https://www.indigodomo.com/library/407/

Posted on
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:31 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Watchdog Plugin

Great – thanks for sharing it!

Posted on
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:50 am
durosity offline

Handy! This’ll be much better than my bodged script doing the same thing :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 pm
Welshdog offline

I was going to install the plug-in, but Little Snitch warned me that it (via Indigo) wanted to connect to a Dropbox url. What is this connection for?

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:57 am
racarter offline

Once a week the plugin checks for an update and gets Indigo to send you an email if there’s a new version. Nothing is downloaded; the update must be done manually by following the link in the email.

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:19 pm
koburg offline

No prowl support ?

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:23 pm
racarter offline

@koburg

I've added Prowl support in a new version and updated the download page. Please be aware that I don't use Prowl myself so have been unable to test this feature. There seems to be more than one Prowl plugin available for Indigo and I had to pick one, so I've used the com.heddings.indigo.prowl version.

If you run into problems please let me know via the support link on the download page and I'll try to help.

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:21 am
Mirko offline

Hi

great idea!
I try to find out what to fill in for my PushOver device into the Watchdog plug in.

I used the name of my device that I used in the PushOver.net website
but that doesn't work.

Watchdog Error 008 - Temperature 1 Tuin Vijver watchdog has timed out
Watchdog Error Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 70, in runConcurrentThread
File "plugin.py", line 106, in checkDevices
InvalidParameter: key txttitle not found in dict

Watchdog Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)
Watchdog Starting Watchdog monitoring thread

Could you please be more specific?

Thanks
Mirko

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:30 pm
racarter offline

The Pushover device name should be one of the devices you have set up on the Pushover website. I'm mystified by the error message "InvalidParameter: key txttitle not found in dict" because there's no such key as txttitle in the Watchog or Pushover plugins.

Have you got the Pushover plugin working for other messages? That's where I'd start.

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:19 pm
Mirko offline

I use the pushover plug-in already for a very long time
And yes I do have pushover working in indigo with other Messages
But No problems at all so far

Posted on
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:46 am
racarter offline

The only variable parameters the Watchdog plugin passes to the Pushover plugin are the Pushover device name and a string containing the Indigo device name. The Pushover device should be specified in the Watchdog config and should be something like iPhoneX (no quotes).

Does the error message appear for all monitored devices, or only one? And are you running the latest version of the plugin (v1.0.1)?

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:15 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi Alan,

just found your plugin right before tying to do a timer/trigger szenario.
Just what I needed to check my fibaro window sensors which seem to be somewhat unreliable at the moment.
Thank you very much, Cheers

Wilhelm

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:59 am
racarter offline

Glad you find it useful :)

Posted on
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:41 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi Alan,

it seems to work great. Thinking about it, I really like the concept of not having to create virtual devices for this. ;-)
I have now 13 battery operated window sensors under Watchdog control. :D
During my tests, I added them using a text editor because I found it quite time consuming to add them all by the menue.

If you want to enhance your plugin further, I would have some ideas:

Add several devices at once using a list box, mark them and assign a timeout in one operation.
Add a priority of the powl event logging level depending on the device
Add the possibilty to send an e-mail instead/additionally to a prowl or pushover event (would be better for archiving events)
Add the possibility to repeat a failed message regularly, if it hasn't been fixed.
Being able to change the messages (e.g. to translate the messages to another language)

Thanks again, for your great work.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:32 am
racarter offline

Hi Wilhelm

I've updated the plugin to provide an option to email alerts; if you haven't yet had an email about it you can do a manual check to get the download link.

I'm looking at your other suggestions, but I can't see a way to provide the option to add via tick boxes in a list. I haven't seen this functionality anywhere in Indigo but if you're aware of another plugin which provides it let me know I'll have a look and see how it's done..

I'll look at providing a repeat message option, and possibly message priorities.

I've sent you a PM with a list of all the messages the plugin generates. If you'd like to provide a translation of each I'll see if I can provide a config option to select the language.

Regards

Alan