Watchdog appears to have lost its list of monitored devices

Posted on
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 am
raoul offline

Strange behavior. While I set this up sometime ago, went to have a closer look as a device had gone down (and I hadn't been notified) only to find that my list of monitored devices is empty.

Given that it's rather time consuming to re-enter each of the devices I want monitored mainly (due to getting the time frame correct), where does Watchdog store these entries. Is it possible to reload a config file or similar.

Thanks.

Posted on
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:53 pm
racarter offline

Re: Watchdog appears to have lost its list of monitored devi

The list of monitored devices is stored in the prefs file. I can't imagine how they've disappeared.

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:01 am
InsteonDiego offline

This has happened to me several times as well. At first I thought it was some change I made or something I messed up. But after the third or so time it happened, I realized something else was up, just not sure what. It happened again recently and the only way I found out about it was a device that was previously in Watchdog had a dead battery and hadn’t reported in for a few days. Sure enough, the Watchdog list was empty again. I’ll try to keep a closer on eye it to see if I can correlate any actions with the list emptying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:34 am
racarter offline

Updated version now in plugin store will generate an error message if no devices are found to be monitored, and publish a count of monitored devices on plugin start.

These changes are designed to alert users immediately if the device list is missing or empty, which should help in finding the cause.

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:06 am
InsteonDiego offline

Thank you! This output will be very helpful to find the root cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:21 pm
InsteonDiego offline

So Watchdog was humming along with 7 devices being monitored. Everything worked fine through server restarts, etc. Just a few minutes ago, I had this error in my event log:

Watchdog Error Device 384418369 not found - deleting from Watchdog list

And now I have only two items left when dumping the list of monitored devices (the same two that I see every time after Watchdog does this). Incidentally, that device is still active and functional in my list of devices.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional info for debugging.

Posted on
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:01 am
racarter offline

It’s strange that an existing device can’t be found in the database. I think I’ll remove the auto-delete feature if a device is not found and just publish the error message. The user will then have to manually delete devices In Watchdog if they are removed from the database.

Look out for an update later today.

Posted on
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:09 am
racarter offline

New version in plugin store makes the auto-delete feature optional.

Posted on
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:02 pm
InsteonDiego offline

Thank you. I'll give the new version a try shortly, but first want to spend a bit of time to see if I can find the root cause.

Posted on
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 am
InsteonDiego offline

Hi -

I think I have run into an issue related to this problem. A few of my devices were removed from Indigo and Watchdog is complaining about not finding them in the log. I do not have the auto-delete option checked. However, I am unable to remove them manually. The devices are not listed in the log when listing all devices, however when I attempt to delete, the drop down is blank with no devices listed at all. How do I go about deleting these devices from Watchdog?

Here is the output:

Watchdog Error Error in plugin execution GetUiDynamicList:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 510, in listGeneratorD
KeyError: key id 1588350642 not found in database

Posted on
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:41 am
racarter offline

Watchdog can’t find the devices to put into the drop-down list because you deleted them. Try disabling the plug-in and editing the preferences file to remove the offending devices.

It’s always advisable to remove monitored devices from the plug-in before deleting them, or have auto-delete enabled.

Posted on
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:38 am
InsteonDiego offline

Thank you! Editing the prefs file was the perfect fix!

Page 1 of 1