TP-Link Tapo plugin

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:53 am
jonc offline

Re: TP-Link Tapo plugin

Yes. That is the only message I receive - repeats every 15 seconds until I delete the new device.

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:59 am
racarter offline

DM me your email address and I’ll send you a version with less error checking. That might get us some more info.

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:19 am
jonc offline

I DM'd you.

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:33 am
racarter offline

I know. I replied the same day with a modified version for you to try. Maybe check your junk mail folders?

Posted on
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:32 am
jonc offline

I'm sorry, I don't see it there. Would you mind resending?

Posted on
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:41 am
racarter offline

Done

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:16 am
johnpolasek offline

I have been using the TP-Link KASA plugin for a couple of years at my sisters to control half a dozen smart bulbs and 8 remote switches as well as a couple of mini plugs... the system works reasonably well with one notable glitch; the Kasa App only lists MAC addresses while the Indigo plugin only shows IP addresses, which would not be a problem except for the fact that the router her WISP supplies will not allow the DHCP server to assign static IPs, so every time she has a power failure (rural coop power) the IPs change and I have to run the angry IP scanner to find the MAC to IP translation.

The TP-Link site is a bit unclear about the difference between the Kasa and Tapo device families (superficially they look identical) but the FAQ says that the Tapo App will accept Kasa devices, but they must be removed from the Kasa App first... So I have 2 questions; first, does the Tapo Plugin recognize Kasa devices, and second, does the Plugin work from IP or MAC?

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:26 am
racarter offline

The Tapo plugin uses the local IP address of the device, not the MAC address. This is dictated by the Tapo API. You might be able to alleviate your changing IP issue a little by using Fingscan in conjunction with my Watchdog plugin; this would notify you when a monitored device IP address changes.

Unfortunately the Tapo and original Kasa protocols are different, so the plugin does not support original Kasa devices, but the newer Kasa devices use Tapo protocol. The ones I'm aware of are:

Kasa EP25 (plug) hw_version 2.6
Kasa KP125M (plug)

I assume that TP-Link will use Tapo protocol for all new devices in future.

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:52 pm
johnpolasek offline

I may hack the Kasa plugin to save the MAC address of the of the device as a state, and if I get ambitious provide an option to manually have it search IPs for the MAC like it does by port when adding new devices... Angry IP Scanner does a fairly good job of finding them all, so once I run a sweep and sort by ports, it's just a matter of opening each device and updating its IP.