new board version, plugin not working

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:17 pm
agame offline

new board version, plugin not working

I just received a new 8 Channel Network Relay.

Unfortunately, the plugin seems not to work with the new version - though it doesn't actually report any errors (as it does if the wrong URL is entered)...so I suspect its actually communicating. I tried the Cynical network plugin on it and it successfully connects via TCP and I can see output.

I can see some physical updates to the board compared with the previous 4 I've had (amongst others it displays the 'CE' European approval tick; and it has two additional screw terminals marked 'A' and 'B'. These appear to output DC at 2.4 volts... not sure what for??). Its clearly meant to be the 'same' board however and carries the IoTzone label.

There are some new system config options (including DHCP); but annoyingly the input status view appears to be gone (as it was on some other versions of the firmware on the old one). There's a QR code image on a config page presumably for linking the board to an android app.

Don't suppose anyone else has seen this new board yet, or figured out how to get it working? I will try mailing iotzone for an updated documentation - the online docs is unchanged.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 11.10.13 am.png
new config page and main menus....no longer any Chinese menu options.
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 11.10.13 am.png (168.5 KiB) Viewed 3961 times

Posted on
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:38 pm
agame offline

Re: new board version, plugin not working

still no joy on getting this new version of the board working...and no response from the supplier on protocol changes. :cry:

what I have established is that it is possible to establish a telnet connection to the new board, however. all after confirmation of the successful connection, all that is returned is 'error' every 30 seconds or so. Same process with the older boards works fine (periodically returns a status list)....is this an encoding issue or something like that??

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:32 pm
agame offline

to close this off, the supplier sent me documentation for the new board...which turned out to be the same (several year old) documentation for the original boards as linked from this forum ie
https://github.com/davidnewhall/indigo-8channel-relay .

When I requested updated documentation (aside from the TCP protocol apparently not working, there are additional terminals, new config features and a different UI). I just received a refund advising this is not possible.

Given language challenges I'm not at all certain I wasn't just unlucky...would be interested to hear if anyone else has experience with the new board. A pic (showing the additional terminals bottom right) is here.
Attachments
newboard.jpg
newboard.jpg (433.86 KiB) Viewed 3854 times

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:07 am
chase offline

I ordered one of these from the eBay supplier supplier TwitchCaptain's link identifies. I received the hardware version he refers to (firmware looks to be v5.06) yesterday.

It took about 10 minutes to get the static IP congiured as I wanted, then less than 5 minutes to configure and schedule sprinklers in indigo.

Where did you source yours as the original supplier has the version that works with this plugin?

Posted on
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:24 pm
agame offline

Good to hear there are still original design boards out there being shipped...however the link posted by Twitch Captain is to a US-only eBay shopfront so unlikely anyone outside North America would have been ordering through that particular storefront. I see they claim to ship from local stock rather than direct from China...so raises the possibility of old [ie compatible] stock.

...There's no doubt my 4 previous boards have been identical however (down to the same typo's in the documentation).

There are other online stores offering the board, I'm of two minds whether one of these is worth a shot!

Posted on
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:21 am
raoul offline

I too have just taken receipt of an 8 channel web relay board which appears to be running a newer firmware. Board says '2019-12-14 Relay-Net-V5.8' Web GUI is same as O/P. User / pass same as listed in other tread admin/12345678
Port 1234 is open.
Unfortunately though I do not appear to be able to control via the plugin.

Anyone manage to get the more recent firmware working with the plugin?

Thanks.

Posted on
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:14 pm
chase offline

Use the plugin 'Simple 8 Channel Relay'.

TCP is completely broken on the current version of these boards..... Guy Turcotte has kindly created a version that works with http (which works with ver 5.8).

Guy has not (yet wink wink) enabled springer mode which I miss. Thank goodness I have a couple of the older boards for sprinkler control.

These plugins and boards are super handy for all kinds of I/O like driveway gate controllers, etc and being IP they can be at different physical locations and still be controlled by a single indigo instance.

Posted on
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:38 pm
raoul offline

Thanks for that, it works a treat.

Yes, it would certainly be great if the Sprinkler function was added. Especially as that's actually the primary role for this relay board and the reason I went down this route rather than other relay boards like the Shelly Uni.

Page 1 of 1