RM mini 3 - unknown device

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:02 pm
agame offline

RM mini 3 - unknown device

I'm attempting to configure a Broadlink RM mini 3 using the plugin, but I'm getting the following error message on discovery:

Code: Select all
 Broadlink Devices               Discovering Devices. This takes 10 seconds.
   Broadlink Devices               1 Device(s) Discovered! If you did not receive the device you're looking for, enter the data manually.
   Broadlink Devices               Discovered Device: UNKNOWN|UNKNOWN - type: 0x5f36, IP: 192.168.1.107, Auth: False, Device: False

I can create a device, and select RM mini as the device type, but responds with
-Learn Failed-
in the dialogue...same message as when nothing is pressed. There are no comms errors reported in the logs other than the initial config.

I've had no problems learning the remotes with the Broadlink app directly.

I see its been a while since any discussion of Broadlink so I'm wondering if there's been a version change impacting the plugin? Any thoughts?

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:44 pm
agame offline

Re: RM mini 3 - unknown device

hmm just found this on the HA forum:

Many users are experiencing problems with the new Broadlink RM Mini 3 and the entire RM4 series.

Once connected to the cloud, these devices lose their local capabilities and can no longer be controlled by Home Assistant.

To fix the problem, you need to follow these steps:

Remove the device from Broadlink App
Factory reset the device
Add the device to your local network using the app
Do not set up a cloud (not now, not ever). This means that you don’t have to complete the setup in the app, configure only the Wi-Fi and don’t add the Broadlink device to the app

I cant immediately confirm if this is the problem but looks likely.

Posted on
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:20 pm
agame offline

Re: RM mini 3 - unknown device

Sadly, while stopping the enrolment process after configuring does change the error message a little, it won't successfully learn or [so far as I can tell], send commands.

I now get a slightly different error message:

Code: Select all
   Broadlink Devices               Discovering Devices. This takes 10 seconds.
   Broadlink Devices               1 Device(s) Discovered! If you did not receive the device you're looking for, enter the data manually.
   Broadlink Devices               Discovered Device: UNKNOWN|UNKNOWN - type: 0x5f36, IP: 192.168.1.107, Auth: True, Device: True

Nothing at all appears in the logs when attempting to learn, the dialogue reports a failure.

I see there's recent discussion of similar issues with other applications of the Broadlink Python library that is credited in the plugin, so my working assumption is that the API is now broken in my version of the firmware. I'm unclear whether or not this is resolved in new versions of the library.

Time to dust off an old Global Cache!!

Page 1 of 1