Broadlink vs. Global Cache

Posted on
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:01 pm
Different Computers offline

Broadlink vs. Global Cache

I've just gotten a new stereo that integrates with my AirPlay 2 setup, but I need more control of it than that provides.

Are there any potential pitfalls in using a BroadLink device to have Indigo control a typical TV/Stereo setup, vs. using Global Cache?

My needs are pretty basic: Turn on the Yamaha receiver, Turn on the Insignia TV, set inputs, turn on the PS4, turn on the Apple TV. Adjust volume. I'm attracted to the BroadLink solution for potential to control my RF fans in the future, as well as the lack of web dependencies.

Oh, some opinions on which of the Broadlink devices is most reliable and capable would be great too!

Thanks in advance!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:36 pm
racarter offline

Re: Broadlink vs. Global Cache

I have the Broadlink RM Mini 3 controlling my TV and TiVo, and it’s very reliable. It replaced a Global Cache, and I found the RM Mini much easier to set up and use. It’s also a heck of a lot cheaper to buy!

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 pm
mundmc offline

GlobalCache IP2IR and Perry’s plugin are powerful, but I am super pleased with my Broadlink. My only gripe is it acts as an ir blaster, and i would prefer 1/8” headphone mono outputs.

Also, I scoured the internet for a bunch of IR codes for the IP2IR, all of which worked. I cannot confirm this is the case for Broadlink, but the training is sooooo much easier.

Posted on
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:06 am
Different Computers offline

OK, I think I'll give the broadlink a try, especially since it at least has the potential to control my RF fans--even with me being definitely not the guy to figure that part out.

As I investigated the BroadLink, the company website's hilariously incompetent design, incompleteness, and bad English made me very concerned.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1