E-mail to Text Messaging

Posted on
Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:27 pm
Snakesitter offline

E-mail to Text Messaging

Just a friendly heads up/warning to those who may not have heard: the ability to send an Indigo-generated e-mail to a phone as a text message is no longer universally available.

I use this function frequently to alert members of my emergency team if something goes wrong, and up until a month or two ago it worked fine. However, last month when I was on vacation, one of my team members told me he was no longer receiving those texts. Upon calling AT&T to investigate, I learned that the company had decided to "turn off" that feature for all non-smartphone users...apparently without telling anyone. Thus, he -- the only one using a non-smartphone -- was effected, but no one else was. I do not know if this was only done by AT&T, or is happening at other carriers too...but if you use this feature and send texts to anyone without a smartphone, you may want to call your carrier to check.

Best regards,

Posted on
Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:03 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: E-mail to Text Messaging

Thanks for the info. I use the feature, but only sent to smartphones, as it turns out.

Posted on
Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:41 pm
Snakesitter offline

You are very welcome. I'm glad I could (potentially) help someone else for once!

Posted on
Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:30 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Would like to try to send some text messages to my phone. Any tips/info on the
best way to do that?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:40 pm
nsheldon offline

The easiest way is probably to use your wireless carrier's email-to-text gateway address (assuming it has one, most do). For example, AT&T's is <your 9-digit phone number>@txt. att. net. They also have an MMS gateway of <your 9-digit phone number>@mms. att. net which is what I use to send myself text messages.

Posted on
Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Perfect....works great with Verizon.

Thanks,

Carl

Page 1 of 1