Indigo Trigger for KPL button sync (error)

Posted on
Fri May 11, 2012 7:40 pm
DU Lou offline

Indigo Trigger for KPL button sync (error)

I have the 2486D KPL and have successfully linked my fanlinc to some buttons. I have also used the Insteon Commands plugin to set non-toggle and auto on/off for the linked KPL buttons.

The problem I have encountered is with my triggers for maintaining the KPL button sync with Indigo. Below is an event log copy of intermittent error and successes with my triggers (settings between off, lo, med) using the Insteon Commands Plugin.

Code: Select all
May 11, 2012 9:26:43 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Ceiling Fan" set motor speed to off
  Trigger                         Ceiling Fan (Off) KPL button sync copy
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" raw insteon command (2E 00   04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 00)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" raw insteon command (2E 00   00 09 48 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 00)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Ceiling Fan" set motor speed to low
  Trigger                         Ceiling Fan (lo) KPL button sync copy
  Error                           "Master Suite Control" raw insteon command; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  INSTEON Commands Error          Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 696, in setKPLLeds
<type 'exceptions.IndexError'>: list index out of range

Sent INSTEON                    "Ceiling Fan" set motor speed to medium
  Trigger                         Ceiling Fan (med) KPL button sync
  Error                           "Master Suite Control" raw insteon command; send failed (no acknowledgment)

Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" raw insteon command (2E 00   04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 00)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" raw insteon command (2E 00   00 09 48 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 00)

May 11, 2012 9:28:24 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Ceiling Fan" status request (received: off)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" raw insteon command (2E 00   00 09 18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 00)

May 11, 2012 9:31:45 PM

Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" raw insteon command (2E 00   00 09 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 00)

This is the first time I have received a "send failed (no acknowledgment)" on my network with any device. I also ran a limited test turning on/off KPL button 1 as well as sending status request to the KPL and out of 20+ attempts I was 100% with the powelinc and the KPL for those commands.

Code: Select all
   Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" status request (received: 0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" keypad button states request (received: 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" status request (received: 0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" keypad button states request (received: 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" off
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" on to 100
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" status request (received: 100)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Master Suite Control" keypad button states request (received: 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0)

I'm not even sure if this is a valid test but I figured it was worth a shot. Any thoughts? :D

Posted on
Sat May 12, 2012 10:30 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Trigger for KPL button sync (error)

It appears I'm not catching the exception thrown when a light doesn't respond somewhere - I'll find and fix that problem.

The send failed error indicates that there is some kind of signal issue - either sporadic signal noise or perhaps signal collisions. Make sure that when you do these commands that you're not doing too much at the same time. So for instance, it looks like you send the speed control command directly followed by some raw insteon command - it's likely there are some collisions. Put a brief delay before sending the raw command (like .05) and see if that helps.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat May 12, 2012 1:12 pm
DU Lou offline

jay (support) wrote:
It appears I'm not catching the exception thrown when a light doesn't respond somewhere - I'll find and fix that problem.

The send failed error indicates that there is some kind of signal issue - either sporadic signal noise or perhaps signal collisions.

I set the delay as you suggested and I still received the error suggesting signal noise. I think I am going to order a 6 Button (Dual-Band) KPL and give that a try. I just find it peculiar that I only receive the 'Error "Master Suite Control" raw insteon command; send failed (no acknowledgment)' with the "Turn On/Off KeypadLinc Buttons" action. All of the other INSTEON Commands have worked 100% for that KPL:
Set LED Brightness
Set KeypadLinc Auto-Off Button Group
Set KeypadLinc Button Toggle Mode

Am I just reading too much into it?

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You might try a factory reset on the device - something else may be causing it to not ACK to those commands. If your replacement works then it might be bad firmware in the device that's causing it to not ACK.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:18 pm
ddollar offline

I'm receiving this exact same error for the exact same command when trying to use "Turn On/Off KeypadLinc Buttons"

Error "Master: Control" raw insteon command; send failed (no acknowledgment)
INSTEON Commands Error Failed to get current LED states for device 1413279505 - aborting

Posted on
Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:19 pm
ddollar offline

It only fails for this one action type and it fails every time.

Posted on
Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:33 pm
ddollar offline

Should also note that this is a brand new INSTEON 8-way Dual-band switch received today.

Posted on
Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:20 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Do you have a pair of older AccessPoint RFs to bridge the 2 power legs? I don't believe those can relay the extended messages used by that command, so if you have those try just unplugging them totally. Perhaps the RF will reach between the 2413U and the dual band KPL.

Posted on
Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

ddollar wrote:
Should also note that this is a brand new INSTEON 8-way Dual-band switch received today.

As luck would have it, I just added another KeypadLinc (6-button) last week that I got from Norm so it should have the latest firmware. The Turn On/Off KeypadLinc Buttons command works fine with it so I don't think this is a firmware bug (unless your KeypadLinc has a bad firmware flash which seems unlikely).

More likely it's failing because of a signal issue. That command requires us to send/receive 2 separate messages: one to get the current state of the LEDs then another to set them. This is because there is no command to directly set individual buttons but rather just one command to set them all. And you can't just tell the KeypadLinc to turn on certain buttons but leave others alone either. This requirement to send double-commands adds extra traffic to the command so if you already have some signal issues it would be exacerbated by this command. That's likely why other commands seem to work but this one doesn't.

INSTEON is known to be susceptible to power line signal noise - you'll find references to it all over the forums here including our troubleshooting page. With some work you can usually mitigate the issues (as many have) but it requires some patience and trial/error testing. Z-Wave seems to be a bit less susceptible to signal noise, though range is a bit of a problem and can be tricky with certain wall types.

All of these technologies have tradeoffs. I don't believe you'll find any system that's 100% reliable (particularly non-hardwired systems), but we have plenty of users who have reliability that they believe is acceptable using INSTEON and Z-Wave.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:59 pm
cwf offline

That's exactly what I was doing wrong! Thanks! - oops this went in the wrong post.

Page 1 of 1