Feature request: basic link mgmt support for SeriaLinc 2410S

Posted on
Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:33 am
elwicksto offline

Feature request: basic link mgmt support for SeriaLinc 2410S

I would like at least basic (link management) support for the 2410s SeriaLinc (2 way serial) interface. I just got one and realized that I'm not able to link it with my existing network of devices managed by Indigo.

Obviously, it would be nice if Indigo could also download the .csv files into the unit, but just the ability to manage the array of group links is the main feature that would solve my main problem.

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:06 pm
elwicksto offline

(No subject)

just to be painfully clear... (even though my terminology may be a bit off, as I'm certainly not an expert here) :)

This request basically it to allow basic Insteon linking with unknown Insteon devices. (I still expect to use the PLM/PLC to interface between Indigo & the rest of my Insteon network). Even if Indigo doesn't have direct support for the 2410s, it would be really cool if it could allow link management so that i could support Insteon on,off,.... to/from the device.

In my particular case, i have an AV setup where I would like to control my Sony projector via rs232 commands (control it & poll its status (i.e. send alert if it's been on a long time to not kill the lamp)). Something sort of like this:

On device setup, tell Indigo that the (2410s) Insteon device has 255 (or whatever) program groups.

Then in link management, I could make links such as the following:

KPL:button7 on ==> 2410s:group2 on // this will map to 2410s to send SIRCS projector on = A9 17 2E 00 00 00 3F 9A
KPL:button7 off ==> 2410s:group2 off // this will map to 2410s to send SIRCS projector off = A9 17 2F 00 00 00 3F 9A

Similarly, I could have Indigo poll the projector (beginning when the projector is turned on) with results in a rs232 SIRCS response from the projector to the 2410s, which would map to an Insteon group command (either status or on/off) that I would be able to interpret.

Posted on
Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:38 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

I'm trying to wrap my head around how Indigo could minimally interface with the SeriaLinc. I don't have one, but I just read the online manual and examples.

I don't believe it will be possible (well, without a bunch of work) to have Indigo manage the links in the SeriaLinc via Indigo's Link Management dialog. But we might be able to offer minimal support where the PowerLinc can manually be linked with the SeriaLinc (as if the PowerLinc were a SwitchLinc, for example). We do this currently for the IR-Linc's and EZUIRT. That is, Indigo doesn't remotely manage the links for those devices but does allow you to use them and manually link the PowerLinc with them.

I found the instructions for the SeriaLinc a bit confusing. They had an example of how to setup the SeriaLinc be a controller sending an INSTEON command upon a specific RS232 command coming in, but they never explained the linking procedure for having the SeriaLinc be a responder to an INSTEON command. I guess once you have the definitions defined in the .csv file and uploaded, you just use the normal press-and-hold linking procedure? There are buttons in their setup application for linking, but I think that is just for linking the SeriaLinc as a controller.

If you want to see if we can get Indigo manually linking with the SeriaLinc, then let me know and we can give it a try. When you Define and Sync, what error message do you get in the Event Log? I need the type ID for the SeriaLinc. I'll then add that to Indigo as a module that requires manual linking and you can give it a try in the next 4.1.x build.
Last edited by matt (support) on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:47 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

I think I found the product ID for it. Can you confirm that it shows ID 778 in the Event Log when you try to Define and Sync it?

Posted on
Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:59 am
asw24b offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
I'm trying to wrap my head around how Indigo could minimally interface with the SeriaLinc. I don't have one, but I just read the online manual and examples.

I don't believe it will be possible (well, without a bunch of work) to have Indigo manage the links in the SeriaLinc via Indigo's Link Management dialog. But we might be able to offer minimal support where the PowerLinc can manually be linked with the SeriaLinc (as if the PowerLinc were a SwitchLinc, for example). We do this currently for the IR-Linc's and EZUIRT. That is, Indigo doesn't remotely manage the links for those devices but does allow you to use them and manually link the PowerLinc with them.

I found the instructions for the SeriaLinc a bit confusing. They had an example of how to setup the SeriaLinc be a controller sending an INSTEON command upon a specific RS232 command coming in, but they never explained the linking procedure for having the SeriaLinc be a responder to an INSTEON command. I guess once you have the definitions defined in the .csv file and uploaded, you just use the normal press-and-hold linking procedure? There are buttons in their setup application for linking, but I think that is just for linking the SeriaLinc as a controller.

If you want to see if we can get Indigo manually linking with the SeriaLinc, then let me know and we can give it a try. When you Define and Sync, what error message do you get in the Event Log? I need the type ID for the SeriaLinc. I'll then add that to Indigo as a module that requires manual linking and you can give it a try in the next 4.1.x build.

Matt,

The product is a mess.

I bought one, and have had difficulty getting it to do even basic things in a consistent manner.

It's a cool idea, but a bad implementation...

Posted on
Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Mike -- thanks for the heads up. I'll go ahead and add basic manual linking support for it to Indigo. I was concerned it would only work with RS232 hardware that defines a very simple protocol, but it sounds like even then it has some issues.

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:56 am
elwicksto offline

(No subject)

thanks for looking into this!

here is the log i'm getting when trying to set up the device. not very encouraging... :)

PowerLinc Linking - sending id request for device information
PowerLinc Linking - received id request response from 0F.D7.BA
PowerLinc Linking - retrieving firmware version
Error firmware version address is unknown (should be in device table)
Error Linking - no match found for device type ID 0 with firmware version 0.0
Error linking failed
PowerLinc Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)

thoughts?

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:06 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Hmmm... it shouldn't be replying with a type ID of 0. Try unplugging it for a few seconds then re-defining it while it is plugged into the PowerLinc's pass-through outlet. If that doesn't get it to return an ID, then try a factory reset with it and try the define again.

Mike: does yours return a type ID of 0 as well?

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 am
asw24b offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
Hmmm... it shouldn't be replying with a type ID of 0. Try unplugging it for a few seconds then re-defining it while it is plugged into the PowerLinc's pass-through outlet. If that doesn't get it to return an ID, then try a factory reset with it and try the define again.

Mike: does yours return a type ID of 0 as well?

Yes.

Nov 20, 2009 7:05:19 AM
PowerLinc Linking - received module button pressed from 0F.D7.07

Nov 20, 2009 7:05:36 AM
PowerLinc Linking - sending id request for device information
PowerLinc Linking - received id request response from 0F.D7.07
PowerLinc Linking - retrieving firmware version
Error firmware version address is unknown (should be in device table)
Error Linking - no match found for device type ID 0 with firmware version 0.0
Error linking failed
PowerLinc Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:01 pm
anode offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
I don't believe it will be possible (well, without a bunch of work) to have Indigo manage the links in the SeriaLinc via Indigo's Link Management dialog.

Don't change the subject Matt, and since were you afraid of work, you 'Sally'?

(just joking of course!)

Posted on
Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:47 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

anode wrote:

:-)

Not good that the device doesn't return the correct type ID. I'll consider adding type ID 0 to be "Device Unknown" and give it the properties needed for manual linking.

Posted on
Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:48 am
asw24b offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
anode wrote:

:-)

Not good that the device doesn't return the correct type ID. I'll consider adding type ID 0 to be "Device Unknown" and give it the properties needed for manual linking.

I can't find the memory map for the device on the insteon site... How did you figure out where the links go ?

Posted on
Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:58 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

For manual linking, like Indigo does with the IR-Linc and EZUIRT, Indigo doesn't peek/poke the links. It just puts the PowerLinc into linking mode and/or sends the PowerLinc SET button message to facilitate manual linking between the PowerLinc and the remote module. (all modules I've seen though have their links start at either 0x0FFF or 0x00FF growing backwards)

Posted on
Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:15 pm
farberm offline

Re: Feature request: basic link mgmt support for SeriaLinc 2

Matt does this module (2410S) work? I am trying to figure out how I get from my Networx (Cadddx) 8e alarm which ises a NX-584 board for serial output to get into indigo. My computer is not near the alarm so I can not directly connect the two?

Posted on
Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: basic link mgmt support for SeriaLinc 2

Unlikely - that device is very limited. I suspect the Global Cache iTach wifi to serial adaptorwould work for you.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn