Anybody have any doorbell ideas?

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:14 am
directorjamesferr offline

Anybody have any doorbell ideas?

I'm currently trying to get some sort of Insteon doorbell integration to Indigo. What I'm really trying to do is have somebody press a doorbell and once that signal is received through Indigo, it would then send me a text message and play a sound through my computer for the actual doorbell ring.

Are there any ways to do this? I'd prefer not to go over $200 (I mean it's just a doorbell people), but I'd really appreciate any ideas. Any outdoor KeypadLincs that I haven't seen floating around? I've heard of ways to re-wire motion sensors, but I have no clue how to do that as I'm sort of a novice.

Oh- and I'm VERY open to the idea of a video phone intercom system. I'd spend a lot more if I could see the person, but I don't know how I'd get that integrated in Indigo. I don't mean to confuse anyone with that. All I want is a doorbell.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:30 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Anybody have any doorbell ideas?

Indigo supports the INSTEON I/O-Linc and this I/O-Linc kit includes a door bell sensor module. You'll need the basic INSTEON hardware (PowerLinc 2412U or 2414U and AccessPoints) and Indigo Pro (Lite doesn't support the I/O-Linc), but it should work well.

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:24 am
seanadams offline

(No subject)

If you don't want to use any conventional doorbell ringer then you can do away with that, and the usual transformer, and the detector circuit.

Simply get the IOLINC by itself, and wire the doorbell button across the input. Then use indigo to play your sound.

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:27 am
bschollnick2 offline

directorjamesferr wrote:
I'm currently trying to get some sort of Insteon doorbell integration to Indigo. What I'm really trying to do is have somebody press a doorbell and once that signal is received through Indigo, it would then send me a text message and play a sound through my computer for the actual doorbell ring.

Are there any ways to do this? I'd prefer not to go over $200 (I mean it's just a doorbell people), but I'd really appreciate any ideas. Any outdoor KeypadLincs that I haven't seen floating around? I've heard of ways to re-wire motion sensors, but I have no clue how to do that as I'm sort of a novice.

Just use a Triggerlinc.... But does it have to be Insteon? If you have the ability to detect RF Security signals, you can easily modify a X10 DS10A to be used in place of the door bell mechanism.

I'll also cover using the DS10A, as well, but first Insteon.

The triggerlinc ($35) has an external terminal, which you can connect any push button switch to it, place that switch in place of your door bell button, and there you go. You may even be able to use your existing door bell switch, depending on the resistance levels...

Alternatively, if you already have X10 RF Security capability, then you might want to look at this..

http://www.schollnick.net/wordpress/home-automation/indigo-security-script/ds10a-easy-modifications/

But in a nutshell... If you remove the magnetic sensor from the DS10A security sensor, you can just either add any sort of pressure switch, or push button switch. The DS10A will broadcast an state change, you have Indigo activate whatever you wish.

The caveat is that you need to have in place the ability to detect the RF security signal...

So if you already have the RF32W800 or some other device that can receive the security signal, fantastic. But the RF32W800 runs around $90-100, and each DS10A can run from $5-10...

- Benjamin

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:37 am
artpics offline

(No subject)

i use a motion sensor to play a tune via itunes works great. no button required

http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/php ... php?t=4641

and then at night the doorbell turns off and it works as a security script flashes lights etc...

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:07 pm
directorjamesferr offline

(No subject)

Woah! I posted this, fell asleep, and found these great responses! Really fantastic guys! It was actually my first post on the forum and I'm really impressed.

I'm considering getting the I/O Linc - INSTEON Doorbell and Telephone Ring Alert Kit. I actually don't currently have a doorbell, so would any doorbell work? Did you have any suggestions?

You know- I actually have an Insteon motion sensor, but I feel like I want an actual doorbell. I have a triggerlinc coming in the mail today, but I'm not sure how that would hook up. How do you attach a push-button switch to the device?

Thanks again everyone! :D

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:27 pm
seanadams offline

(No subject)

directorjamesferr wrote:
Woah! I posted this, fell asleep, and found these great responses! Really fantastic guys! It was actually my first post on the forum and I'm really impressed.

I'm considering getting the I/O Linc - INSTEON Doorbell and Telephone Ring Alert Kit. I actually don't currently have a doorbell, so would any doorbell work? Did you have any suggestions?

You know- I actually have an Insteon motion sensor, but I feel like I want an actual doorbell. I have a triggerlinc coming in the mail today, but I'm not sure how that would hook up. How do you attach a push-button switch to the device?

Thanks again everyone! :D

RTFM for the ELK product that is included in that bundle: http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/1221.pdf

Basically one side of that little board is an input which passively monitors the conventional doorbell circuit. The other side just electrically looks like a simple switch being closed, which is what the IOLINC wants to see.

Posted on
Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:31 am
Matt offline

(No subject)

I am using an X10 sensor connected to the doorbell. The trigger action causes SecuritySpy to take 10 photos from the door camera and sends me an SMS to let me know when somoene has been at the front door.

Posted on
Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 pm
celimaya offline

An wireless video door phone --link deleted by admin because of spam-- is a convenient way to increase safety and security when answering the door. To protect security, there are many ways, to install a security burglar alarm system is a good one. If we has a door phone, especially a video door phone, we can protect ouselves from intruders. And a wireless one is easy to install.

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:25 am
seanadams offline

If you rewire the existing button directly to the IOLINC, then you don't need a voltage sensor or relay. Just do this, and configure the IOLINC to make its output copy its input.

For more info and other solutions, see post #32+ in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5552&start=32
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 1.33.13 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 1.33.13 PM.png (16.63 KiB) Viewed 8610 times

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:27 am
seanadams offline

Oh bloody hell, some spammer dug up this thread and I mistook it for a new one. Well anyway, there's your improved doorbell circuit.

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:36 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, I didn't catch that one in time. IP address was from a country where we have never sold a copy of Indigo and it was their first post, so I'm 99.9% sure it was a spammer.

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
artpics offline

i have used this script for the last few years. to play a sound from my motion detector

also set up a time date action to enable and disable my doorbell. i then have this tied into a trigger if i am on vacation.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4641

Page 1 of 1