HAI System Compatability

Posted on
Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:42 pm
trauncxher offline

Re: HAI System Compatability

Well here we are in 2014, and it just seems unbelievable that there is still no support for HAI/Leviton home automation systems. The Omni security/ Home controller is one of the most powerful and versatile and most popular security systems on the planet. Given its tite integration with leviton devices whole home audio, Home theater, drapery automation, integrated access control for door locks, and tight integration with interior and exterior presence sensing devices from Dakota and others, it just seems like a no-brainer for indigo to support this powerful Home automation system.

There is an IP/UDP interface, serial, UPB, and zwave Interface, and a documented protocol to speak with this system. Home seer supports HAI, as do others.

Is there or has there been any serious discussion of supporting HAI automation systems under indigo?

Regards,
J.

Posted on
Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I believe the answer lies in this thread - 8 requests over 10 years. Demand has been extremely low. And, since Indigo 5, we've had a very robust plugin API that would allow someone sufficiently technical to build an integration, yet nobody has (plenty of other security panels do have plugins), so that also seems to point to a significant lack of demand.

We would, of course, welcome a 3rd party plugin if someone chose to develop one.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:50 pm
tadg offline

I do have a simple plugin for the HAI Hifi-2 whole house audio system, It is a pretty nice system, simple keypads and easy to install, high wife-acceptance-factor.

The plug in is based on the Nuvo plugin by Jeremy Swancoat, Nuvo makes the Hifi for HAI/Leviton, so their command language was pretty close.

Tad

Posted on
Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

tadg wrote:
I do have a simple plugin for the HAI Hifi-2 whole house audio system, It is a pretty nice system, simple keypads and easy to install, high wife-acceptance-factor.

The plug in is based on the Nuvo plugin by Jeremy Swancoat, Nuvo makes the Hifi for HAI/Leviton, so their command language was pretty close.

That's awesome - would you care to share it via the File Library? I suspect others will appreciate it. If you'd rather open source it we'd be glad to host it on our Github account. Either way it would be awesome to add it to the File Library so people could more easily find it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:24 pm
trauncxher offline

Most people who own an Omni security system probably have no idea that its a full automation controller. These systems have been installed by the top security companies in the country for years without ever telling anyone about the incredible controller functionality.

I suppose I could try to tackle creating a plugin, and would bet good money that once available, you'd find many more than 8 people interested.

There are hundreds of thousands of these panels out there, and since they were purchased by Leviton, there have been vast improvements. total integration with an alarm system like the levity omni series is without a doubt something that more than 8 people care about.

I guess I'll investigate the interface to see what it takes. I suspect that since the entire TCP/UDP communication pipe is encrypted, it may be a bit difficult. the HAI sdk is built around their windows DLL which could be an issue, but that might be something solved with a raspberry PI/wine implementation? kind of kludgy suggestion, but off the top of my head, thats the only way I can see getting around the encryption...

I've had some conversation with Levition regarding the omni, their guys are quite adept, perhaps they could make a suggestion.

HomeSeer fully supports the HAI boxes... and from what I have read, once one is passed the encryption issue, the protocol is very easy to deal with.

Will post what I find back here.

regards all,
Trauncher.

Posted on
Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

As I said, we'd welcome a 3rd party plugin. If you think the market is that big, you may even want to try selling it. You can always create a post (like in the General Home Automation section) that has a poll in it asking about the desirability of a plugin and how much people would be willing to pay for it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:48 pm
Trauncher offline

In my community alone (country club type community), there are 600+ HAI omni IIe units... every home comes with one from the builder developer. They are also standard equipment in most of Dell Web Sun City retirement communities... (thats another 50,000+ homes in Nevada and California alone). Yea, the install base is pretty huge. The functionality is used by alarm and management companies... I would bet that since these units are included in so many homes, that many of not most people have no idea what they have. The only place they are labeled is on the outside of the alarm box itself... people know that as the "Alarm" not the "Automation Controller"...

Will do some more research, and post my findings and comments in the 3rd party plugin forum. Perhaps all that is missing is a champion of the cause...

warm regards,
Trauncher

PS: Love indigo (as you can see, I've been a registered user since version 2.), Great work!

Warm Regards,

Trauncher

Posted on
Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:40 pm
gazally offline

Has anyone made any progress on this in the past year? I live in a house with an Omni panel wired to pretty much everything, and getting Indigo to talk to it would make both systems much more useful.

Posted on
Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I generally don't like to keep adding to archived posts, but in this case I'll make an exception. Thanks @gazally for sharing your OmniLink plugin, it should make trauncxher/Trauncher happy if he's still around... :wink:

Jay (Indigo Support)