Control Pages Device State Caption Issue and colours?

Posted on
Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:52 pm
autolog offline

Control Pages Device State Caption Issue and colours?

I am in the process of creating a control page for each of my 12 thermostats.

So, I created the first one and after a bit of testing and fine tuning I proceeded to create the second one. I did this by duplicating the first control page. I then proceeded to select each of the Device State fields and selected the correct thermostat. Unfortunately, whenever i do this it overwrites the caption that I previously set-up with the name of the newly selected thermostat. I can understand that it is helpful to fill in the caption if it is empty but not if it is already filled and undoes all my work and painstaking field alignment :wink:

Is there a way round this, have I missed something or is this a "feature" of the current implementation :?:

The only way I have thought to do it so far is to have separate fields for the captions but this seems somewhat counter intuitive and rather negates the purpose of having the caption field in this case.

Also, is it possible to dynamically change the colours of the text depending on the field contents or is it fixed according to what is selected in the Control Panel Editor :?:

Thanks for any help :)

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Control Pages Device State Caption Issue and colours?

It is working as designed. We'll add a request to the list to revisit the caption naming behavior.

It is not currently possible to change text color but I believe there's a request for that on the list already.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:25 pm
autolog offline

jay (support) wrote:
It is working as designed. We'll add a request to the list to revisit the caption naming behavior.

It is not currently possible to change text color but I believe there's a request for that on the list already.

OK - Thanks :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:34 am
autolog offline

As it has been over five years since I posted this request, I thought I would risk bumping it. :D

I am reworking my Control Pages for my new TRV plugin and even after five years I still find it incredibly frustrating and annoying that whenever I change a device name in a Control Page, the caption gets "nuked".

I guess it is probably not as simple as adding an if statement to say if caption field is not empty, don't nuke it otherwise it might have been done already!

Thanks for (possibly) reconsidering moving this up the priority list. :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:04 pm
siclark offline

+1 because once Jon is done with his plugin, I'll want to do the same!!

Posted on
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:26 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

By default for new controls the Caption is set to the device name, which is why when changing devices it updates to the new name. If the user blanked it out totally, then Indigo was smart enough not to change it upon new device selection but it wasn't smart enough to also check for custom edits to the caption name. A future version of Indigo will be smarter. The Feature Genie has made an appearance and granted your wish.

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:29 am
autolog offline

matt (support) wrote:
... The Feature Genie has made an appearance and granted your wish.

Excellent news - Thank you. :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:25 am
autolog offline

While I am on a roll, can I add another request. :D

I notice that whenever, I edit a field and change the device i.e. Display: Device State For : [device_name] [State_name], that Indigo is "helpfully" (or not :wink: ) adding an automatic Server action based on the type of device. I want it left at what it was before I changed the device e.g. Server Action: No Action or the existing TRV Controller plugin command I have set the field up with..

Currently as Indigo is auto-filling the action, I having to remember to undo it every time I change the device on every device field I change on the Control Page (currently ~30 fields!). Again this isn't a new field, it is a device field I am (in this case) changing from one thermostat to another as I duplicate my Control pages. It is just making the whole process more long winded and very error prone. :(

Thanks for considering. :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:14 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Give an inch and they take a mile every single time. :lol:

Added to the request list.

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:13 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I'm surprised you haven't hired a third person not for the mobile app(s) like people have suggested but rather to do nothing but manage enhancement requests from the forums. I would hate to see how many acres of trees would need to be felled to print that list out!

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:12 am
autolog offline

matt (support) wrote:

Added to the request list.

Thank you :)

Page 1 of 1