Virtual device groups

Posted on
Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:38 pm
gabbas offline

Virtual device groups

I like the virtual device idea a lot.

I'm hoping to use device groups to keep Keypadlinc "scene" buttons up to date when they lights they control change. Right now I have an old Applescript that manages this (I prefer Python, but I wrote it before Indigo's excellent new Python API) but there's no GUI and it's not the easiest thing to manage. However, I had a tough time getting a virtual device to do what I want. Are these known limitations, or am I missing something?

For one thing, I couldn't link from a KPL button to a virtual device. What I was hoping is that I could set up a link from an Insteon controller as if the virtual device were a regular Insteon device, and Indigo would make Insteon links for me for all the virtual members that it could (if they're Insteon devices themselves, they're not the same device as the controller, and so on) and Indigo would handle (like a trigger) the remaining virtual members itself. But when I went to make the link I couldn't find where to select my virtual device as a responder.

Similarly, I couldn't figure out how to link from the virtual device to KPL buttons in order to keep the buttons up-to-date when the scene becomes "on" or "off".

Both of these things are solvable with triggers & Insteon groups of course, but my hope was to find a setup that's easier to maintain than what I have now, and keeping a bunch of triggers in sync isn't a piece of cake.

Also (and this is probably easier than the stuff listed above) I'd like to be able to specify that dimmers are "on" when brightness equals a saved value (instead of equals or greater than), because some of my scenes are dim and I want the scene (and the button(s) that control it) to be off if its lights are too bright.

Regardless, thanks a lot for the cool new features.

Posted on
Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Virtual device groups

Device groups are not INSTEON devices - so using INSTEON linking to link to/from them will not work. They do make keeping a KPL button in sync easier since you only need two triggers: turn on the button when the group goes on and turn off the button when the group goes off.

We've had some other requests for other options about when to consider dimmer devices on/off - we'll consider those when we're looking at updating device groups in some future version.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1