Variable List Help

Posted on
Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:28 pm
hazlnut offline

Variable List Help

I'm trying to set up some variable for use in condition triggers.

1) Home / Away -- to establish a "houseMode" I guess

2) OnVacation -- true / false

3) Daytime / Nightime -- is this one already set up with isDaylight (which is greyed out in my variable list)

I've read everything I can find in the wiki and am still confused on how to create custom variables.

Can someone walk me though the above examples 1, 2, 3,?? -- and possibly make some suggestion for other useful variables/

This is what I got so far -- not sure if I've got houseMode right.
Attachments
Variable List.tiff
Variable List.tiff (49.94 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Variable List Help

To create variables, switch to the Variable Window (select the Window->Variable List menu item), click on the New... button, type in the name for the variable and a value.

The isDaylight variable is a read-only variable - which is why it's gray. You can use it but you can't modify it - the server sets it according to your location.

One thing that might be confusing you is that you have a folder named "Housemode" as well as a variable named houseMode. Folders are only there to help you organize variables visually. You only need a single variable, called "houseMode" which you can then set to whatever value you want (home or away or whatever). Then, you can use that variable in Conditions to determine if a given trigger or schedule actually fire the actions associated with them.

You can manually set the value of a variable, you can use the various actions under the Variable Actions group to modify them as part of a trigger, schedule, or action group, or you can modify them with scripts.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:51 pm
hazlnut offline

Let me start over then -

1) I created a variable called house mode and set value to home

'Welcome Home DAY trigger'
2) For a KPL link button "Welcome Home" I create a trigger called 'Home Day'
3) I set Conditions: Al of the following.... if daylight
4) Actions: *send scenes for daytime arrival home + SET VARIABLE houseMode to home
(Not clear on the difference between Modify Variable and Toggle Variable)
5) Create No Action Speak: "Welcome Home" (does Airfoil need to be running on this computer at all times?)
6) I duplicate this trigger and create a second Welcome Home button at Garage KPL

Note Both Buttons were set to non-toggle OFF so they blink a couple of times then remain off.

'Welcome Home NIGHT trigger'
2) For a KPL link button "Welcome Home" I create a trigger called 'Home Night'
3) I set Conditions: Al of the following.... if dark
4) Actions: *send scenes for nighttime arrival home + SET VARIABLE houseMode to home
(I wasn't clear on the difference between Modify Variable and Toggle Variable)
5) Create No Action Speak: "Welcome Home"

'Away DAY trigger'
2) For a KPL link button "Away" I create a trigger called 'Away Day'
3) I set Conditions: Al of the following.... if daylight
4) Actions: *send scenes for daytime arrival home + SET VARIABLE houseMode to away
(Not clear on the difference between Modify Variable and Toggle Variable)
5) Create No Action Speak: "Good Bye" (does Airfoil need to be running on this computer at all times?)
6) I duplicate this trigger and create a second Welcome Home button at Garage KPL

'Away NIGHT trigger'
....'Away Night
3) I set Conditions: Al of the following.... if dark
4) Actions: *send scenes for night arrival home + SET VARIABLE houseMode to away
x2 for garage kpl

I think I worked how how to set everything -- please comment and or let me know if there's something I'm forgetting.

Thanks.

Posted on
Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If it's working for you then it's right... ;)

Honestly, there's not enough information for me to really comment on whether it's right or not. But if it's working for you then it must be. If there's something that's not working, you're gonna have to be more specific.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1