How to disable a command for 2 seconds

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:10 am
autolog offline

How to disable a command for 2 seconds

I have a floor standing lamp plugged into a z-wave TKBHome Plug Socket relay (UK TZ68E). The lamp bulb in is a 20w dimmable CFL. The dimming is programmed by switching the lamp off and the switching it on quickly. It then cycles through getting light and then darker and so on. When you get the light level you want, you switch it off. When you next switch it on, it stays at the selected light level. Ok, so that's the background. What I want to be able to do is have Indigo only allow the on and off command to be sent to the plug Socket Relay if the last command happened more than two seconds ago - otherwise don't action it - this is to avoid the lamp going into "set dimming" mode. Is this possible in Indigo?

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:41 am
kw123 offline

Re: How to disable a command for 2 seconds

there is an option to disable and enable triggers in action.. and can be timed to re-enable after xx sec/minutes/hours

in actions:
Server Actions / Enable-Disable / enable xxx -disable xxx

Karl

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:46 am
durosity offline

I'm quite glad you posted about that, i was about ready to buy a few z-wave plugin sockets and was thinking of the TKBHome Plug Socket.. i think i might avoid them and just go for the everspring ones that i know don't do that.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:52 am
autolog offline

durosity wrote:
I'm quite glad you posted about that, i was about ready to buy a few z-wave plugin sockets and was thinking of the TKBHome Plug Socket.. i think i might avoid them and just go for the everspring ones that i know don't do that.

I think you have misunderstood what I meant or I didn't explain it well enough :wink:

There is nothing wrong with the TKBHome Plug Socket (I am using the switch relay version NOT the dimmable socket), it works very well :-)

The issue is with the bulb, it is a dimmable 20w CFL (see http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LASD20BC.html) that is controlled by switching it on and off as I described i.e the dimming is programmed into the bulb by a sequence of ON/OFFs. I just wanted to prevent inadvertant resetting of the dimming level.

Hope this helps :)

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:17 am
durosity offline

autolog wrote:
durosity wrote:

I think you have misunderstood what I meant or I didn't explain it well enough :wink:

There is nothing wrong with the TKBHome Plug Socket (I am using the switch relay version NOT the dimmable socket), it works very well :-)

The issue is with the bulb, it is a dimmable 20w CFL (see http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LASD20BC.html) that is controlled by switching it on and off as I described i.e the dimming is programmed into the bulb by a sequence of ON/OFFs. I just wanted to prevent inadvertant resetting of the dimming level.

Hope this helps :)

Aha, perfect.. i was a bit confused as to why they'd work like that to be fair. I just figured they were similar to the cheap-and-cheerful byron/homeeasy dimmers that are floating around where you need to turn them on/off/on to dim and brighten.. which is a right pain in a more advanced system like Indigo. :)

On a side note then have you considered just getting a dimmable z-wave plug and one of those new fancy LEDs that ikea are selling that are dimmable?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 am
autolog offline

durosity wrote:
... On a side note then have you considered just getting a dimmable z-wave plug and one of those new fancy LEDs that ikea are selling that are dimmable?
That's an idea I'll consider. At the moment I am trying to get some basics sorted out. I just wanted to make sure the software and z-wave would work for me. It looks like it will and so now I am going to look at extending the system :)

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:11 am
autolog offline

kw123 wrote:
there is an option to disable and enable triggers in action.. and can be timed to re-enable after xx sec/minutes/hours

in actions:
Server Actions / Enable-Disable / enable xxx -disable xxx

Karl
Not sure If I am doing this correctly but I appear to have crashed Indigo :(

I have setup a trigger as follows:
Trigger =
Name: "On/Off"
Type: "Device State Changed"
Device: "002 - Relay Power Switch", "On/Off State", "Has Any Change"
Condition =
"Always"
Actions =
Type: "Disable Trigger (Enable/Disable Actions)
Disable: "On/Off"
Auto-enable: "Yes" after 00:00:10 (ten seconds)

This didn't make any difference. I could click on the device and turn it off and on within the 10 seconds.

So I changed the Actions as follows =
Type: "Disable Device (Enable/Disable Actions)
Disable: "002 - Relay Power Switch"
Auto-enable: "Yes" after 00:00:10 (ten seconds)

Now when I click on the device and turn it on, the light turns on but I get a message saying I have been disconnected from the Indigo Server. I click on "Start Local Server" and Indigo appears to restart - I assume it crashed but am not quite sure (at the moment) how to determine this.

I really want to have something that will disable the On / Off command on the device for two seconds (testing with 10 seconds) - I am not sure the trigger is achieving this (but I am at the early understanding stage of how this all works) :)

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I think what you're wanting to do is actually disable the device itself for 2 seconds - which is not possible.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:18 pm
autolog offline

jay (support) wrote:
I think what you're wanting to do is actually disable the device itself for 2 seconds - which is not possible.
Well actually, I think all I want to do is prevent Indigo from sending commands to it for two seconds. The device could still remain active. I haven't been able to find anyway to prevent the on/off command from being sent from the device tab? I presume that when I click it On or Click it Off that the command isn't invoked via a trigger (although a trigger may be kicked off as a result of the state change)?

Page 1 of 1