Anyone know how to include Local Radar into Control Page?

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:40 am
eme jota ce offline

Anyone know how to include Local Radar into Control Page?

It would be great to include animated, local radar into a control page.

Found a reference in this forum, in this discussion, that someone had included local radar, but can't seem to find a source for the local radar image or other method.

If anyone has incorporated local radar into their Indigo control pages, would you mind describing how?

Thanks,
mjc

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:40 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Anyone know how to include Local Radar into Control Page

My weather control page includes the local radar image... I have played with adding both a refreshing image and an interactive radar embedded in the page - I actually found that I like the static image (refreshing to match the frequency of updates on the weather site) better.

Static/Refreshing Image
For this I just use the radar image from our local television station; I got the URL to the radar image from their site and added it to the control page as a refreshing image. When I click on that image it will launch a new window to the full weather page. This turned out to be my preferred solution as it was faster.

I tried to find other sources of radar images but most of the ones I could find easily were of a regional variety and/or not very good looking. Once I came upon the idea of using the local television stations, though, I quit searching as it did exactly what I needed.

Interactive Radar
I added an interactive radar by embedding the URL to the interactive radar (just the radar, found one without much markup around it) into an IFRAME on the control page. There are two downsides to this approach -- first it only works on the web (won't work in Indigo Touch) and secondly the interactive layers and such took a surprising amount of time to load. Therefore, I decided on the image approach and, if desired, I can click on it to get to the full site to use the interactive version.

I should be able to post a screenshot of my control page this evening if interested.

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:53 pm
eme jota ce offline

Re: Anyone know how to include Local Radar into Control Page

Thanks RogueProeliator,

Your post pointed me in the right direction.

Had tried to pull radar images from Weather.com, weather underground, and other large weather sites, without success but looked at some local news sites, per your suggestion, and it's working well, now.

For me, the animated radar from a local (countywide) site is loading quickly on all devices, which is preferred in our area of Florida because storms can form quickly and move in any compass direction.

Page 1 of 1