Virtual Device not really working

Posted on
Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:35 pm
sandconformgorgecloud offline

Virtual Device not really working

Hello.

I tried the virtual device. I have an action group to put iTunes playing a radio, and one to make iTunes stop playing.
I added a group to check if iTunes is playing, and one to Toggle (if iTunes is playing then execute group stop, and so on).
I setup the virtual device, and it's working. When I click ON in the Indigo Client, it does the action group. When I click off, it execute the correct action group.
The On/Off state is updated correctly.

But now, in the Control Page, I have 2 buttons, play and stop, and I set : server action / set virtual ON/OFF Device Sate (Virtual Device Control), I choose my device (I have only one), and in the settings, I put "on" without quotes nor anything else. For the stop button, same things with "off".

When I press these buttons, the virtual device change his state from on to off, or from off to on. But no action group is followed.

Also, so I can understand. The Status Variable is not updated by itself, so I have to update in the action groups, or should it be updated ?

Thanks
(I use both server and client 6.0.1)

Posted on
Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Virtual Device not really working

You use the set device state to actually change the state, not to execute the action groups. For that, you just use the turn on/turn off actions (which will, in turn, execute the action groups you've specified).

However, I have to ask - why not just use the iTunes plugin?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:38 pm
sandconformgorgecloud offline

Re: Virtual Device not really working

Ah ok :) now I got it... I was only search under virtual device that's why...
Thanks

Well, my setup is really a huge thing... I'm working since version 2 or 3 ... and when first appeared the iTunes plug-in, it was always buggy. So I made my action scripts to avoid any problems. Now I have to try all the new things, see if I can rely on and I then move some things, step by step.
What is now great is that it's more easy to find dependencies and so, because really I have so much things :)

The thing is too I have complicated script (it's a fade up and fade down and so) and to find the right file it's not always easy.

So I'll try it and probably will move on it later. But the virtual device is great for it too, as for a lot of other things.

There is so much new things now, it's easier to work with all the devices I have. Before I had only X10. Now a lot of HUE too. And I'll now try the Z-Wave mostly first for heating system. But I have to read everything to be sure to find things working with Indigo. And step by step I reorganize things and it's clever … but it's a lot of work :) I'm addicted lol

Page 1 of 1