Database disappeared

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:15 am
Matt offline

Database disappeared

My computer locked up overnight and when I restarted it and tried accessing the web interface from work, I noticed none of my control pages were present.

I used Spotlight to find all the .indiDb files on my computer and the only one that looks like it would be the last one I was using was created in May of 2006. Even if this is not the most recent, it might help[ to use it instead of reprogramming everything from scratch. However when I did try loading this file (by double clicking it) Indigo 2 doesn't load it and merely asks me to either select a previous database or create a new one.

Aside from the database folder in the Indigo 2 folder, is there a backup somewhere of the last file I was using? Or is there some way to recover from the situation I am in?

I would really hate to reprogram all of the lights, switches, motion detectors, applescripts, etc.

I searched the forums for 'lost database' and 'missing database' but found nothing. Sorry if this is answered somewhere else.

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:23 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Database disappeared

Hi Matt,

Indigo does not automatically backup the database files, except when it is translating an Indigo 1.x version of the database to the Indigo 2.0 format. The database files can live anywhere the user wants to put them, but by default they are stored inside:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2/Databases/

The Indigo 1.x databases by default are stored in a different place:

~(your user folder)/Documents/Indigo User Data/

Also note the file may not have the .indiDb extension. Specifically, see if there are any files in those folders consisting of just numbers (ex: 443531223). The best way to have Indigo load a database file is to launch Indigo, then double-click the file from the finder (which is what it sounds like you are trying).

If you don't have any luck, then email me all of your .indiDb files along with any file that have names consisting only of numbers in the above folders and I'll take a look at them.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:54 am
Matt offline

(No subject)

Thanks for the fast reply Matt!

I went through all the indiDb files and there is something strange going on. When I doube click on all but the Sample House file, I am asked to select an existing database or create a new one. The Sample House is the only database that opens.

All the other files in the Indigo 2 Database folder are named according to a 8 digit hexadecimal filename. There are no filenames with just numbers. All the hexadecimal filenames are zero kilobytes in size.

The only databases (besides the ones I had from version 1.8 ) I have now were created as of this morning when I restarted the computer.

Looks like I am going to have to redo everything. Bummer.

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:58 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Above I should have said filenames consisting of hexadecimal digits, not just numerical digits. If you have any files likes like that, or .indiDb files, that are non-zero in length but won't open then email them to me and I'll see if I can get them to open.

Strange that this happened... Is there any hint in the Event Log about what might have happened? Did the freeze occur when Indigo was trying to save the database file? Even if it did, you should not have lost the file...

Matt

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:18 am
Matt offline

(No subject)

I just noticed that there are no new log files since 11-29. And today's log file starts at 5:15 AM, when I rebooted the computer. The last entry on 11-29 was nothing out of the usual (a light was timed to go off and did).

I will send you a zip of what is in my database folder.

Thanks for your help.

Posted on
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:25 pm
EagleDTW offline

Hi Matt,

Using Karl’s DB backup utility and noticed that the DB is not backing up and then that in the Indigo 2021.1 folder there’s 2 DB folders - a DB old folder that has a 7.5.0 DB file and the DB proper folder is completely empty. Should this have been migrated and corrected during a typical upgrade process, did something get corrupted?

Thank you,
Daniel

Posted on
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:44 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, it is a bit odd that it isn't in there by default but Indigo allows the database files to be anywhere. When The Indigo Server launches it writes to the Event Log the exact database location, so you can use that to find where it is.

Page 1 of 1