Displaying iTunes Album Art

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:01 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Displaying iTunes Album Art

You sure the application "Image Events" is installed?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:30 pm
Different Computers offline

Image Events is part of a base install and exists in /System/Library/CoreServices.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:19 pm
jltnol offline

So these scripts were written back in Indigo 6. I tried to update for Indigo 7.4, and for Music (as opposed to iTunes), and while I compile it, I don't get any errors. So what I'm expecting is when the script is run, it will get the cover art from Music, and populate it in the Indigo web images folder.
But when I run the stand alone script, I'm getting a result of
Code: Select all
false

Just wondering if anyone has updated this at least for the current version of Indigo, and for Music.

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:36 am
whmoorejr offline

Different Computers wrote:
Nobody using iTunes on a separate computer from Indigo?

I can usually figure this stuff out on my own with search fu, but this is some pretty obscure stuff. So anyone who knows how to get the file locations out of a remote iTunes, please chime in.

Two options I can think of.... (neither tested)

1) Mac Commander plugin + dropbox
The Mac Commander plugin looks like it will let you run an apple script on a remote computer. https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/173/
On the script, change the file locations at the top of the script to "Users:yourname:Dropbox:iTunesArt"
Then on a control page, refreshing URL = "file:///Users/yourname/Dropbox/iTunesArt/iTunesCurrentAlbum.png"
I'm sure there will be a lag as the image has to go to the first mac's dropbox folder, circle the earth 15 times, then sync with your indigo mac's dropbox folder

2) Airfoil source iTunes
Airfoil plugin (when source is iTunes) will get album artwork and put in a folder of your choosing. Not sure if that works with a remote instance of iTunes + remote instance of Airfoil.
I don't do this because (for me) airplay/airfoil's primary function is system announcements, so I leave the source on "System Audio". Playing music is a secondary background thing. I use Alexa devices as my primary music system, but I can push announcement to them... if the network is up, if NodeRed isn't hung, etc.

Sidenote, with PLEX, you can listen to your iTunes music on Alexa. "Alexa, ask Plex to play Metallica" will create a Plex audio device on that Alexa device and start playing music in your Plex library (my setup, Plex and iTunes use the same music folder on a NAS). I believe with the Plex plugin, you can get album artwork from that as well.

Bill
My Plugin: My People