IMessage - Send Text to Myself

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:15 am
ckeyes888 offline

IMessage - Send Text to Myself

Having issues getting the plugin working. I setup the permissions but am getting this error in the log:
Code: Select all
 Trigger                         Text Message Carl
   iMessage Plugin Error           An Error occured within the iMsg AppleScript component - ScriptError
   iMessage Plugin Error           The Error was :Messages got an error: Can’t get buddy id "Discontinued-SubNet:xxxx@me.com". (-1728) app='Messages' range=264-289
   Schedule                        trigger "Text Message Carl" (delayed action)

Tried sending to my icloud acct xxxxx@me.com

Running Indigo 2022.2 on 10.14.6

Appreciate any help getting it working.

Carl

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:12 pm
GlennNZ offline

Re: IMessage - Send Text to Myself

Hi

The notable bit here - can’t get discontinued-subnet etc.etc. that has nothing to do with the script - but rather is the error message itself, which seems to read buddy handle is incorrect.

Presume it has something to do with your buddy handle?
&
As a general rule sending message to same account being received from wouldn’t be recommended.

I would

Check the buddy handle is correct by enabling the plugin config setting - show Buddy Handle. These can be emails or phone numbers it seems to vary

Use a different account either for receiving ideally (I have an indigo imessage account logged in on Mac - which enables me & family to message indigo, and more recently chatGPT and run commands/receive advice…)

Doesn’t seem like it is a permission issue - but older OSX is the more than seems to crop up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:55 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I’m really confused about how this all works I guess.
I’ve never had or used a buddy list and aren’t seeing any place to create one.
If my only use is to simply send texts to myself is a buddy list or a separate Indigo account really necessary?

You mentioned a buddy could be a phone number. Is there some way to just send a text to my cell number?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:12 pm
GlennNZ offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
I’m really confused about how this all works I guess.
I’ve never had or used a buddy list and aren’t seeing any place to create one.
If my only use is to simply send texts to myself is a buddy list or a separate Indigo account really necessary?
You mentioned a buddy could be a phone number. Is there some way to just send a text to my cell number?
Thanks,
Carl

Have a look at the instructions - whilst old, don't believe has changed that much.

Basically the issue with sending yourself a message - is you both send it and receive it. Same as you sent to yourself on phone. Your message will be both send and received. So when checking for messages received the one you sent to yourself shows up - so this isn't ideal, and hence isn't supported. Although maybe will work in some fashion - but replies and messaging asking for Y/N etc. will be muddled to say the least.

Likewise - the plugin will have to check all your other incoming messages which presumably will be a lot and may or may not reply to them. Which again isn't ideal.

Buddys Handles are decided by apple - can be number, or email - but is one thing == buddy handle id. This is what iMessage and apple identifies you with. (and anyone else you wish to allow access)

I'm not sure what you mean by buddy list? Go to pluginConfig and config show buddy handle in log. This just confirms what apple believes your or anyone else's buddy handle is. This is used to identify buddies.

You ideally need a Indigo message account that you and approved 'buddys' send messages to.

Glenn

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:36 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Sorry, I’m really lost on this one. Reading thru the docs is just more confusing.
I’m not even seeing a way to create a buddy to use for the plugin.
Maybe there’s a simple script that I could use to send the contents of a variable as a text?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:45 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Without an account or known buddies, , a script wouldn't be much help. And device substitutions would do this in text field of message to send %%v: etc

So:

You can not send a message to and from the same account.
You need a iMessage account that is not you logged in on iMsg on the Indigo Mac (I used literally -an "Indigio account") (NB this is the Mac running server)
This will need a email address and apple account which free and easy to setup.

Once this is logged in - select show buddy Handle in pluginConfig.
Send this account an iMsg (from your regular) account
The buddy Handle will be highlighted in the log - this is your regular accounts 'handle' to be used.
Add this Handle to allowed buddies in pluginConfig - and any messages received by your regular account will be action.
Do the same for other accounts you want to have access

Setup Triggers
Message received etc.
Send Message actions - including device and variable substitution - allowing variable/and device states to be replaced in the text.

As per instructions
Code: Select all
Messages accept indigo substitution for both variables and devices.
- So can send message:
'Glenn is located %%d:1490780461:address%% and has about %%d:1490780461:homeTimeText%% to travel to get home'

- with Number referring to FindFriends Device:
Indigo will substitute both the address and the travel time in these places.

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:59 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Really appreciate all the help but I’m thinking I just need to find a simpler solution to sending a text.
Just be be clear to use the plugin I’d need to setup another Apple ID and email, then establish a buddy ID somehow?
I wish I could grasp the concept of how it works.
That I don’t have any need to “read” incoming texts this seems a bit of an overkill.
Thanks,
Carl

Read the above list again - it is very straightforward, but yes - you need an account that isn't you!
Buddy ID - already exists, but apple decides what it is - so logging confirms.

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:05 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Assuming I have the separate ID how would I login to it?
That there doesn’t seem to be “send from acct” and “send to acct” fields is what I’m not getting.

Thanks,

Carl
Last edited by ckeyes888 on Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:09 pm
GlennNZ offline

You login with the iMsg app on the indigo OSX server Mac??

I think there is something basic not being followed here....

The Plugin access the OSX Mac iMessage applications and reads its SQL database.
Then it checks for incoming messages and can trigger any action based on these messages.
And it allows you to send messages to anyone, once you have identified the buddyID.
It also allows Y/N messages to be sent with different Indigo action groups then being run depending on reply.
eg.
No one is home - do you wish to turn off lights Y/N

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:13 pm
ckeyes888 offline

So I’d have to be logged into the iMessage app on my server as someone else?

Edit: My only goal is to send myself a text.

Carl

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:20 pm
GlennNZ offline

Yes, as another account.

You could use a python script get variable contents and then use apple script to send iMsg a message. But that is unrelated to the plugin, and would need buddyhandles and I would guess be more complicated.

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:29 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I’ll give it a go. Thanks for all the help.

Carl

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:59 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi Carl

I might add that seperate account is preferred usage. Using your ‘main’ account may still work but function in some areas would be impacted.

I’m not sure you have followed the earlier messages from me about enabling show BuddyHandle in plugin config? This should help address the error message received.
Then send yourself a message and you should have confirmed the buddyID/buddyHandle

This is typically:
Either a Email address or phone number
But apple decides essentially and is needed to identity the account within iMsg.
Hence the need to confirm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:35 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Got it working somehow,
Just need to know how to have it send the contents of a variable.
Tried %%v:VariableID but no joy.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:36 pm
GlennNZ offline

Is for variable subsitution…

%%v:VARID%%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk