Can't get replies to trigger

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:21 pm
ps2 offline

Hello.

Still in testing phase of this wonderful plugin concept, clearly it works but not for me. I can't get a reply to trigger. I have it setup and it sends the message and I am using the correct buddy handle (as listed in the log) but when I reply there is nothing in the log that indicates a reply has been received. I have a simple Trigger setup that looks for the word 'gate'.

This is all I get in the log (set to debug, all options selected):
Code: Select all
   iMessage Plugin Debug           sendImsg() method called.
   iMessage Plugin Debug           sendImsg() buddyHandle:pxx@mac.com and theMessage:test2 and use lastBuddy:False
   iMessage Plugin Debug           as_sendmessage() method called.
   iMessage Plugin Debug           Sending iMsg:test2 to Buddy/User:pxx@mac.com
   iMessage Plugin Debug           AppleScript Reply:None

There is nothing else in the log other than other Indigo items. Tried with Question as well, same non-response. I am using a mini running 10.15.7. Not sure why but my install of 2022.1 has two IndigoPluginHosts.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 2.18.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 2.18.54 PM.png (45 KiB) Viewed 1098 times

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:23 pm
GlennNZ offline

Re: Can't get replies to trigger

Hi

Thanks for the details and images!

If there is nothing in the log when a reply is received it will indicate that the plugin isn't properly connected to the iMessage database, and isn't seeing any reply (as should be checking them)

Have debug on - restart the plugin and see if any messaging regarding connection to the DB.

It may have something to do with Catalina (old now) and we have moved on to support the new security aspects and lack of applescript with new OSX's.

It will likely be related to the security aspects - that you appear to have correctly given FullDisk access. Whether Catalina has had other updates and even more access is needed? (not sure)
The Messages App also needs to be running/Window open/minimized often for correct access.

Failing any of the above
Earlier versions of OSX (lacking Full disk access) needed to give read access to chat.db file
~/Library/Messages/chat.db
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/m ... lp1203/mac

Glenn

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:31 pm
ps2 offline

Thanks for the reply, I am going to update MacOS tonight or soon so don't put too much energy into this. I will let you know either way if anything changes.

The log indicates it is connecting to the DB and I do run Messages on this headless server.

Code: Select all
 Starting plugin "iMessage Plugin 0.6.2" (pid 39122)
   Trigger                         Motion Front
   Action Group                    Camera Front
   iMessage Plugin                 
   iMessage Plugin                 ================================================ Initializing New Plugin Session =================================================
   iMessage Plugin                 Plugin name:                   iMessage Plugin
   iMessage Plugin                 Plugin version:                0.6.2
   iMessage Plugin                 Plugin ID:                     com.GlennNZ.indigoplugin.iMessage
   iMessage Plugin                 Indigo version:                2022.1.2
   iMessage Plugin                 Python version:                3.10.2 (v3.10.2:a58ebcc701, Jan 13 2022, 14:50:16) [Clang 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.29.30)]
   iMessage Plugin                 Python Directory:              /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10
   iMessage Plugin                 System Release:                19.6.0
   iMessage Plugin                 System Release Short:          19
   iMessage Plugin                 System Version:                Darwin Kernel Version 19.6.0: Tue Jun 21 21:18:39 PDT 2022; root:xnu-6153.141.66~1/RELEASE_X86_64
   iMessage Plugin                 ==================================================================================================================================
   iMessage Plugin Debug           logLevel = 5
   iMessage Plugin Debug           Self.SaveDirectory equals:/Users/admin/Pictures/Indigo-iMessagePlugin/
   Started plugin "iMessage Plugin 0.6.2"
   iMessage Plugin Debug           Starting Plugin. startup() method called.
   iMessage Plugin Debug           Adding Trigger MESSAGE REC (90085977) - commandReceived
   iMessage Plugin Debug           connectsql() method called.
   iMessage Plugin Debug           ConnectSQL: Filename location for iMsg chat.db equals:/Users/admin/Library/Messages/chat.db
   iMessage Plugin                 Connection to iMsg Database Successful.

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:55 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Ok - I think it does relate to system version - and must be security differences somewhere.

There was a change in datetime handling between versions which there are 2 options for. But this is for OSX >17 which was a long time away from your version 19. So after looking at it - don’t this will be relevant.

Seems that just not getting any incoming messages.

What about imessage account settings - you are logged in? etc.

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:33 pm
ps2 offline

I updated host to 12.6.1 and it still didn't work.

However, I was sending messages to myself while experimenting with plugin. When I sent it to someone else and they replied it worked. It would be useful to be able to receive messages from the sender.

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:30 pm
GlennNZ offline

Ok. That would explain it.

Essentially it's not how the database works, as sending to yourself creates 2 messages - sent and received.

Ideally the recommended setup: (eg. How I do it!)
- Is to a have separate Indigo account on the mac mini for messages. (or indeed the whole mac)
I receive iMessages from "Indigo Home" account email (saved as contact in phones with image/icon etc.)
"Everyone is gone and 12 lights are on. do you wish to turn them off?",

Likewise family members can send messages to this indigo home account - "Gate", Lock, whatever setup triggers are needed, or question are answer ones
If they are in approved buddies will action, if not ignored.

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:45 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I'm using the plugin this way to feed Indigo 2FA codes

Page 1 of 1