Is there a better way...?

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:16 pm
jltnol offline

Is there a better way...?

I'm running my Indigo server on a small Mac mini, and have set that computer up with its own Apple ID. This means that I can send text messages from that separate Apple ID to my phone thru the Messages app, which arrives as a normal text message on my phone(and the Messages app on my main computer). it works great.

But for various reasons, I've considered running my Indigo server from my normal desktop computer, where I do all my work. There would be some advantages for me, but what stops me is that the desktop Message app is tied to my normal text message account via my cell number and my primary Apple ID, again, separate from the Mini.

So am I missing something, or is there a way for me to send a text message thru Indigo and the iMessages plugin... to myself?

Posted on
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:38 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Is there a better way...?

I don't use the Messages app with Indigo directly so I don't know if there are limitations to that segment of it, but you can send a message to yourself with the Messages app itself (I just retried to confirm).

My wireless provider (Verizon) has a service that converts email messages to text, so what I do instead is have Indigo send me text messages using the Better Email plugin. .The address is [PHONE NUMBER]@vtext.com. Works like a charm. Could your provider have something similar?

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:38 pm
jltnol offline

Hey Dave
I've used the @vtext.com method as well, but for me, they do take longer to arrive on my phone than a standard text message. Not the end of the world, and may move to that method eventually, but for now, I'm going to stick with my separate @iCloud.com account to send the text messages a little quicker to my phone.

Posted on
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:42 am
ryanbuckner offline

jltnol wrote:
I'm running my Indigo server on a small Mac mini, and have set that computer up with its own Apple ID. This means that I can send text messages from that separate Apple ID to my phone thru the Messages app, which arrives as a normal text message on my phone(and the Messages app on my main computer). it works great.

But for various reasons, I've considered running my Indigo server from my normal desktop computer, where I do all my work. There would be some advantages for me, but what stops me is that the desktop Message app is tied to my normal text message account via my cell number and my primary Apple ID, again, separate from the Mini.

So am I missing something, or is there a way for me to send a text message thru Indigo and the iMessages plugin... to myself?

I created a second email address (under my iCloud account) for Indigo to use on the server. I would think that you could add a second email address and go into iMessages preferences and set your primary (cell phone) as the initiator of conversations but allow your indigo email address to receive and send messages.

Page 1 of 1