Unable to update buddies list

Posted on
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:25 pm
russg offline

Hi Glenn,
I just installed your iMsg plugin on my system (Indigo v7.2 or iOS 10.14.1 Mojave). I hope to use it to send messages only (I have wit.ai disabled). I configured the plugin with my appleID email account, which is identical to the account iMessage is logged into on the mac (might have been a mistake?).

When I attempt to send a text only message I get an error message that ‘it seems the buddy handle is invalid’. The weird part is that I can change the plugin preferences so the buddy list is different, but the error continues, and it specifies the *original* buddy handle, not the one in the preferences. This persists even after I restart the plugin, restart Indigo, and reboot the system.

Three questions:
1. what should I try next?
2. can I use the same buddy (email address) in the app as I log into on my mac? For example, I send text to my iPad from my phone regularly, and they are both signed into the same email/iMsg account.
3. if I want to try a re-install, what additional files do I need to remove?

any advice appreciated, and thanks in advance!
-russg

Posted on
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 pm
GlennNZ offline

russg wrote:
Hi Glenn,
I just installed your iMsg plugin on my system (Indigo v7.2 or iOS 10.14.1 Mojave). I hope to use it to send messages only (I have wit.ai disabled). I configured the plugin with my appleID email account, which is identical to the account iMessage is logged into on the mac (might have been a mistake?).

When I attempt to send a text only message I get an error message that ‘it seems the buddy handle is invalid’. The weird part is that I can change the plugin preferences so the buddy list is different, but the error continues, and it specifies the *original* buddy handle, not the one in the preferences. This persists even after I restart the plugin, restart Indigo, and reboot the system.

1. what should I try next?
2. can I use the same buddy (email address) in the app as I log into on my mac? For example, I send text to my iPad from my phone regularly, and they are both signed into the same email/iMsg account.
3. if I want to try a re-install, what additional files do I need to remove?

Hi

Sorry for delay - not entirely sure I completely follow.

First up
1. You should use a seperate iMessage account for the indigo Mac. Not your usual account. This account will receive and send any messages for the indigo Mac - which would be pretty annoying if main account was getting them all. iMessage should be logged in to a seperate indigo account for this to be useful.

2. Within the plugin config there is a setting
‘Show Buddy Handle in Log’
This will show in Error red any incoming message from any Buddy. Turn off when have figured out the correct buddy handle.

Buddy Handles can be mobile number or email addresses - enabling this setting and sending you Indigo iMessage account a message will let you known what the correct Buddy Handle should be.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:10 am
zoff offline

Re: Unable to update buddies list

I have a problem not related to the OP's but the thread title applies.

I've added 2 buddies in the Buddy List of Configure iMessage Plugin window, separated by a comma but only one buddy ever appears in the Buddy Handle list in the Configure Send iMsg Message window.

Posted on
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:20 pm
GlennNZ offline

zoff wrote:

I've added 2 buddies in the Buddy List of Configure iMessage Plugin window, separated by a comma but only one buddy ever appears in the Buddy Handle list in the Configure Send iMsg Message window.

Seems a bit strange.

Pretty hard to comment without any details, but...

Would restart the plugin in case that is needed to update buddy list.
Would delete the action and recreate. Old one ‘may’ be using old buddy entries.
Would double check haven’t space anywhere in buddy list?
Would add a third dummy buddy and see what that changes...

Glenn

Posted on
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:12 am
zoff offline

GlennNZ wrote:
zoff wrote:

GlennNZ wrote:
Seems a bit strange.

Glenn

Hi thanks for responding. I restarted the plugin, restarted Indigo and created a new action. I'm only trying to add a second buddy, I add it to the list but it doesn't show up in the Buddy Handle menu, only the first buddy shows in the menu. The list updates because if I reverse the order of the two buddies in the list the first buddy shows in the menu. Again only one buddy ever shows up in the menu, maybe its a UI glitch because the pop-up menu never opens up to reveal the list. I can send screenshots if it helps.

Posted on
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:31 am
GlennNZ offline

zoff wrote:
GlennNZ wrote:
zoff wrote:

GlennNZ wrote:
Seems a bit strange.

Glenn

Hi thanks for responding. I restarted the plugin, restarted Indigo and created a new action. I'm only trying to add a second buddy, I add it to the list but it doesn't show up in the Buddy Handle menu, only the first buddy shows in the menu. The list updates because if I reverse the order of the two buddies in the list the first buddy shows in the menu. Again only one buddy ever shows up in the menu, maybe its a UI glitch because the pop-up menu never opens up to reveal the list. I can send screenshots if it helps.

Does seem like a UI issue.

If turn on plugin debugging. When open window should show debug log of creating buddy list entries - if all listed here then would confirm to me is a UI issue.

Screenshot may help troubleshoot.

Glenn

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:46 am
zoff offline

iMessage Plugin Debugging on.
iMessage Plugin Debug Debug level: 20
iMessage Plugin Debug New logLevel = 10

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:39:02
iMessage Plugin Debug Access_Token:
iMessage Plugin Debug
iMessage Plugin Debug User prefs saved.
iMessage Plugin Debug logLevel = 10
iMessage Plugin Debug User prefs saved.
iMessage Plugin Debug Debugging on (Level: 10)

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:39:41
iMessage Plugin Error UI dynamic list function returned illegal ID string (ignoring): zoff@zoffware.com

The error is generated when I open the Configure Send iMsg Message window, not when I save the second buddy added to the Configure iMessage Plugin window.

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:01 am
GlennNZ offline

Thanks

That’s looks fixable by me - not sure why illegal string but will look into it.

Can you pm me the plugin config buddies list image?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:59 am
zoff offline

Just as I was about to take a screenshot, I thought of removing the space after the comma :shock: That was the problem!
I apologize for wasting your time.
Thank you.

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:06 pm
GlennNZ offline

zoff wrote:
Just as I was about to take a screenshot, I thought of removing the space after the comma :shock: That was the problem!
I apologize for wasting your time.
Thank you.

Oops!
That would do it. Thanks for letting me know.
(I should add a check for spaces....)

Page 1 of 1