Difficulty determining comfort (climate?) status

Posted on
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:05 pm
gt3mike offline

Difficulty determining comfort (climate?) status

I'd like to add a condition on an action to only do something if the comfort setting of the Ecobee thermostat is "Away". It looks like the device attribute I should be using for the condition is "Climate", but "Climate" isn't updating when the Comfort setting changes. It's stuck on "home".

I'm happy to create a github issue for this, but figured I'd check here first to make sure I'm not missing something. Is Climate what I should be using? Should it be changing within a couple of minutes of when the thermostat comfort setting changes?

I have the update frequency on the plugin set to 3 minutes.

Posted on
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:46 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Difficulty determining comfort (climate?) status

Are you changing the current climate by schedule or by override? Using an override doesn't change that field. It's only changed by schedule.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:10 pm
gt3mike offline

I think you're right. The scheduled comfort setting has been overridden to away. Is there a way to determine the actual current comfort setting?

Posted on
Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:15 pm
FlyingDiver offline

It's difficult with this API. The app does it because it gets event notifications from the server, which tells it what the temporary climate is and until when. But the only way for the plugin to do it would be to walk through the list of recent events provided by the API, and find ones that do a temp hold. Not impossible, but difficult. That would require creating an enhancement issue.

How is the climate change being done? Manually in the app or with a plugin action. If you're using an action, you could store your override value in a variable.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:17 pm
gt3mike offline

Indigo sets it based on the home alarm status. (I can't trust Ecobee to do it based on occupancy because of our pets.) I think the variable idea may work. I'll play with it. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1