"Resume Program" question

Posted on
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:17 pm
gt3mike offline

"Resume Program" question

I'd like to tie my Ecobee's Away comfort setting to the state of my home alarm system. If the alarm is "Armed Away" I want to activate the "Away" comfort setting indefinitely. That seems straightforward.

When the alarm is disarmed, I would like a trigger to tell the Ecobee to go back to its daily schedule. Is that what "Resume Program" (and/or "Resume All Programs") does?

Thanks

Posted on
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:22 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: "Resume Program" question

That'll probably work. "Away" is just one of the standard comfort settings. I assume you're doing comfort setting change like this. If so, resume will take off the indefinite hold and go back to the normal schedules.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 8.21.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 8.21.13 PM.png (57.76 KiB) Viewed 2083 times

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:23 pm
gt3mike offline

Yep, that's what I'm doing. Perfect! Thanks.

Posted on
Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:10 pm
gt3mike offline

I need to dig into this some more, but my first test of the indefinite Away hold only worked for a day or so. Eventually the thermostat went back to the normal schedule on its own.

One interesting thing I noticed (I have Indigo set to notify me any time the Ecobee "Climate" has any change) is that I was still getting these notifications every time the schedule would normally change Comfort settings. I checked the thermostat app the first couple of times this happened, and the app said the thermostat was still Away and holding. But the next day, at some point I looked at the app and it was back to "Home", which would have been normal for that time of day.

Maybe this is a question for Ecobee and not an Indigo plugin question, but I thought I'd start here. Does anyone use indefinite holds successfully for a couple of days? I'd prefer not to use vacation mode if I can avoid it.

Posted on
Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:14 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I'm curious - what do you have against vacation mode?

I'll reiterate a comment I've made before about the Ecobee - if you want to micromanage your HVAC with Indigo, Ecobee is the wrong thermostat to use.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:18 pm
gt3mike offline

I want to automatically set my thermostat to away when I arm my alarm. One less thing to do. Vacation mode doesn't seem to work that way, does it?

I understand your point. But this is the only thing I'm trying to do from Indigo with the thermostat. So I'm hardly micromanaging it.

Posted on
Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:46 pm
FlyingDiver offline

As far as I know, it should work the way you want. The plugin isn't doing anything to change the mode, as it's a totally PUSH model. You probably want to reach out to Ecobee and see what they say. Don't mention Indigo at all. Just tell them you put in indefinite hold to away mode and it's reverting on it's own.

Also, just in case, double check you don't have some other schedule or trigger that might be doing it. Right click on the Ecobee device in Indigo and use the show dependencies command.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:57 pm
gt3mike offline

Thanks, will do. Dependencies look ok.

Just to confirm, I grabbed these entries from the plugin log. One entry was with hold type set to indefinite, and the other was with hold type set to next transition. They're identical -- should they be different?

Code: Select all
2022-02-20 12:46:41.264   [   DEBUG]               Plugin.actionActivateComfortSettingEcobee Living Room: actionActivateComfortSetting
2022-02-20 12:46:41.798   [   DEBUG] Plugin.EcobeeAccount.make_request             API 'set climate hold' request completed, result = <Response [200]>

2022-02-20 12:47:53.014   [   DEBUG]               Plugin.actionActivateComfortSettingEcobee Living Room: actionActivateComfortSetting
2022-02-20 12:47:53.571   [   DEBUG] Plugin.EcobeeAccount.make_request             API 'set climate hold' request completed, result = <Response [200]>

Posted on
Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:58 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Yeah, that log message doesn't show the argument sent to the Ecobee servers. You checked using the website or mobile app, right?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:00 pm
gt3mike offline

I used the mobile app. Unfortunately neither the app nor the website seem to indicate the duration of the hold (unless I missed it).

Posted on
Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:01 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Don't recall ever looking. The unit itself says on the display.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1