Problem with Near Real-Time Status of ecobee3 equipment

Posted on
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:34 pm
sumocomputers offline

Problem with Near Real-Time Status of ecobee3 equipment

I am having partial success getting near real-time status of my ecobee3 by running an Indigo Schedule every 5 seconds that asks for a "Get All Status (Thermostat Controls)".

The cool and hot setpoints get updated in Indigo as soon as the schedule runs, but the status of my equipment takes forever (usually in minutes), which makes me think only some of the data is available on a device status request, but not sure if that is an ecobee3 limitation or a possibly issue with the Indigo plugin.

If you are curious, what I am trying to do is when the Fan equipment becomes ON (and noisy), increase my Yamaha receiver volume, and when OFF, decrease the volume.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted on
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:33 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Problem with Near Real-Time Status of ecobee3 equipment

I suspect that your thermostats are not sending updates to the Ecobee servers as often as you would like. The plugin is getting all data from the cloud servers. not from the thermostats.

Also, you're about to get locked out of your Ecobee account. You're limited to 85,000 queries a month, and at 12/minute you're going to do in excess of 500,000 for the month.

Put an energy meter on the circuit feeding the air handler. Use that to control your volume.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:26 pm
sumocomputers offline

Re: Problem with Near Real-Time Status of ecobee3 equipment

OK, I wasn't sure if all the data was coming from the Cloud, but now that you have confirmed it, I just put an energy meter on the air handler, and it works great.

And I went back to every 1 minute schedule instead of 5 seconds.

It is just weird that the setpoint values are apparently updated every few seconds, but things like equipment status much less so.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Page 1 of 1