Ecobee Version 2 - Beta test version available

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:57 pm
shumon1212 offline

Re: Ecobee Version 2 - Beta test version available

lanbrown wrote:
Upgrading OpenSSL to a version that does include TLS 1.2 could be tried, but it can also create an issue with Indigo operating properly as well as the OS. Plugins might also need to be told of the new version to use for the path. This then makes the plugin developers job much harder as High Sierra and later it just works and lower versions would be different and could even be different between users.

I had tried upgrading the system level OpenSSL some time ago for an unrelated problem; it seemed to have had zero impact on the Python that shipped with the OS. I didn't dig in too deep, but had assumed that Apple bundled a Python specific copy somewhere ... regardless, didn't mean to hijack this thread with an off-topic discussion!

I installed the beta release for my Cor thermostats, and it has been working flawlessly so far. Thanks Joe and all!

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:41 pm
shumon1212 offline

Agree with what you're saying about Python's capabilities.

Would you happen to know why the python.org folks are packaging OpenSSL with their installer?
"Attention macOS users: as of 2.7.15, all python.org macOS installers ship with a builtin copy of OpenSSL."

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:56 pm
chobo offline

All, I too had to update to High Sierra to resolve this TLS 1.2 issue. All seems to be working fine so far (fingers crossed)!

Joe,

Thank you for the extraordinary effort you've put into troubleshooting the old Ecobee plugin and creating this new one. I can't tell you how excited I am to have this authentication issue in the rearview mirror!

Quickly re: climate holds: I had modified the old plugin to set an indefinite away hold as opposed to an away until nextTransition hold. This is extremely useful if you're away for several hours or days. Is this something you've considered/looked at? No worries if not.

Thanks again!
Last edited by chobo on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:16 pm
FlyingDiver offline

chobo wrote:
Quickly re: climate holds: I had modified the old plugin to set an indefinite away hold as opposed to an away until nextTransition hold. This is extremely useful if you're away for several hours or days. Is this something you've considered/looked at? No worries if not.

Please create an issue for this on GitHub so it doesn't get forgotten. I'll work on stuff like that after I've got the original functionality working.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:18 pm
FlyingDiver offline

No more off-topic posts about OpenSSL and related subjects, or I'll just delete them all.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:22 pm
shumon1212 offline

Thank you for taking the time to explain!!

Thanks Joe once again for the amazing work.

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:22 pm
chobo offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
chobo wrote:

Please create an issue for this on GitHub so it doesn't get forgotten. I'll work on stuff like that after I've got the original functionality working.

Done. https://github.com/FlyingDiver/Indigo-Ecobee-2/issues/1. Thank you, sir.

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:55 pm
shumon1212 offline

Joe, feature suggestion here, but thought to post here first as I'm not sure if it's viable or if fits in with the bigger picture.

If the API calls provide the model number of the thermostats tied to an account, would it make sense to auto-populate the new device types you can add in Indigo?

Only mention this as I had mistakenly configured my Cor thermostats as 'Ecobee 3' instead of 'Ecobee Smart' ones. I initially thought the plugin wouldn't work for me, but later realized I didn't select the correct device types to begin with. If we could disable the inapplicable device types from being selected, that may eliminate some confusion.

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:01 pm
FlyingDiver offline

shumon1212 wrote:
Joe, feature suggestion here, but thought to post here first as I'm not sure if it's viable or if fits in with the bigger picture.

If the API calls provide the model number of the thermostats tied to an account, would it make sense to auto-populate the new device types you can add in Indigo?

Only mention this as I had mistakenly configured my Cor thermostats as 'Ecobee 3' instead of 'Ecobee Smart' ones. I initially thought the plugin wouldn't work for me, but later realized I didn't select the correct device types to begin with. If we could disable the inapplicable device types from being selected, that may eliminate some confusion.

That's already in my current code base. The next pre-release will configure the device based on the model number (aka name) and will also create all the remotes associated with that thermostat. Plus an additional one for the built-in occupancy sensor in the thermostat itself.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:04 pm
shumon1212 offline

Thank you Sir, look forward to the next release!!!

Posted on
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:20 am
FlyingDiver offline

Closing this thread. Moving discussion to thread for 2.0.3 pre-release: viewtopic.php?f=295&t=21507

joe (aka FlyingDiver)