Ecobee plugin continued

Posted on
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 pm
rapamatic offline

Re: Ecobee plugin continued

1.2.8 is on the GitHub page. Try that. It has fixed a lot of bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 pm
wmldwilly offline

I've wound up down some sort of rabbit hole now, and I'm not exactly sure what to do to back out of it. any help would be appreciated!

I've installed 1.2.4 from the Github site (the "source code.zip" link's enclosed plug-in that is), and gone thru the routine to get a pin, enter it at the ecobee site, then refresh the tokens and am repeatedly getting the following:

Aug 16, 2018, 5:14:06 PM
Ecobee Error Please authorize your ecobee developer app with PIN code fm99
Goto https://www.ecobee.com/consumerportal/index.html, click
My Apps, Add application, Enter Pin and click Authorize.
After authorizing, call request_tokens() method.
Error (client) timeout waiting for plugin response from com.drjason.ecobee for request UiAction

...along with a very insistent modal dialog (attached below).

I'm not sure where to turn. I've disabled/re-enabled, restarted the app, and am about to go heavy-handed and restart the machine.

One additional question: Is there any evidence to suggest one should REMOVE the plugin's entry on one's ecobee page before adding the latest pin received? I've tried both removing the old entry and entering the new pin, or just entering the new pin and it seems to replace the previous entry. Not sure which would be better lab technique though.

Thank you in advance...and if this isn't the right place to report this hiccup or ask this question please point me to where I should be. :D

WM
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 5.15.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 5.15.05 PM.png (255.79 KiB) Viewed 3592 times

Posted on
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:27 pm
wmldwilly offline

Ah! I didn't see the "try 1.2.8" directive.

Doing it now...

One addendum to my last post: it seems to be authenticated and communicating, even though all that happened. I have Indigo open and am manipulating set points for one of my ecobees, and have the ecobee web page open as well and am seeing the changes update there after a short delay. :D

Posted on
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:35 pm
rapamatic offline

I usually kill the old application on the ecobee site, but I don’t think that is necessary. After you get PIN, enter it in the site, and refresh credentials, close the dialogue box and the restart the plugin. That tends to work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:44 pm
wmldwilly offline

I'll second that. The authentication didn't seem to happen until I restarted the plug-in. I watched it fail for a few minutes just to see it.

I've got 1.2.8 installed, talking, and will keep an eye on it over the coming day hopefully days!

Posted on
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:09 pm
wmldwilly offline

...and the rig will text me if the plugin loses authentication now. 8)

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:55 pm
cwf offline

I purchased an Ecobee switch+ to try out, is adding that to the plugin an option or does Ecobee not let you get to those devices?

Thanks for the plugin!

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:05 pm
FlyingDiver offline

The Switch+ is not accessible using the existing Ecobee API, so the plugin won't be doing anything with it.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:10 am
wmldwilly offline

This isn't a very good report - it caught me at a crushingly busy time outside of home automation tinkering. :|

Did anyone else find that ecobee servers seemed to be offline or not responding around august 27th thru 28th or so? I had a good 24 hour stretch or so that the plugin suddenly couldn't authenticate and I'm not exactly sure why. Lots of "error 400" seen floating around in logs.

If the plugin is supposed to reuse tokens and refresh when it can connect again, it didn't. It took me until the wee hours this morning to get time to attend to it and get a new pin / re-add the app / refresh tokens / reload the plugin and it's been failing for days but is back to normal now.

...like I said - not a very good report. Mainly I'm just wondering if anyone else saw what looked like a fairly long "outage" (or outage to us plug-in testers anyway...) in the last week or so.

W

Posted on
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:16 pm
mrmatt68 offline

Does this support ecobee 3 lite? Plugin installed and i can add an ecobee device but there doesn't seem to be anything i can do. I would like to read the humidity level and then turn on switch to activate humidifier. the ecobee 3 doesn't have humidity control but seems to have the seasor. Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Posted on
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:54 am
FlyingDiver offline

mrmatt68 wrote:
Does this support ecobee 3 lite? Plugin installed and i can add an ecobee device but there doesn't seem to be anything i can do. I would like to read the humidity level and then turn on switch to activate humidifier. the ecobee 3 doesn't have humidity control but seems to have the seasor. Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Are you using the pre-release with Ecobee Lite support? https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/indig ... n/releases

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:00 pm
wmldwilly offline

Reset router, lose authentication. :(

Whelp - I'm able to say pretty assuredly that whenever my router resets for any reason (been making some changes to my network lately...had a number of maintenance type resets and resets to commit changes...) I lose the key, and it never comes back until I follow the refresh steps.

I realize I'm unclear so far - is the plugin supposed to eventually re-use the last key? or are we still at a point I should expect to have to re authenticate every time there's a network interruption like that?

:(

WM

Posted on
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:18 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Reset router, lose authentication. :(

wmldwilly wrote:
I realize I'm unclear so far - is the plugin supposed to eventually re-use the last key? or are we still at a point I should expect to have to re authenticate every time there's a network interruption like that?

The plugin SHOULD re-use the last key and re-authenticate as needed. But clearly it's not handling service interruptions (caused by Ecobee server issues or network outages) properly. I thought I had fixed all the places where it dumped the old keys incorrectly, but apparently not.

Keep mind that I didn't write this plugin. The original developer abandoned it, and I've been trying to fix the obvious issues. But there are interactions between the plugin code and the underlying py-ecobee library (written by a third party, obtained from GitHub) that are obscuring the error conditions that are causing the current problems. I've pretty much decided that the only way to really fix this is to re-write it so that it doesn't depend on that library. There's nothing wrong with that library, per-se, other than it was designed to be used for command-line scripts to control the thermostats. So all of it's reporting and error-handling aren't designed to be hidden behind a plugin-like structure.

There's also a separately reported (possible) issue with maximum calls per application key that might be causing problems even when there's no server or network issues. I need to get clarification from Ecobee on whether that limit is per app or per user account. If it's actually per app, then users of the plugin will need to get their own developer account and API key, which will be a pain.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:08 pm
wmldwilly offline

No worries. I'm getting ready to just sort of give up on Indigo support of Ecobee thermostats. Thru no fault of yours, the only conclusion anyone other than an enthusiast willing to battle with it can come to is "Indigo doesn't really support Ecobee yet."

Your efforts are MUCH appreciated, and it's a valiant effort you've made for sure! Re-writing it from the ground up and making it yours I'm sure isn't what you planned on spending your spare time doing, but it's easy to see that's probably the best way to get yet-another-middle-man-bit-of-code out of the...well, the middle. :P

It's not your fault at all, but it's beginning to irk me that Indigo purports to "support" Ecobee products. Our Indigo developer hosts should consider updating that "third party plugin page" (isn't this now a "fourth party plugin?", or "fifth party plugin" considering the pycobee stuff in there? :P) to explain what's really going on with ecobee support to those that come thru looking to see if Indigo supports their thermostats.

Good luck with all your endeavors, and know that we appreciate it. Hopefully someday there's true ecobee support in Indigo.

Posted on
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

wmldwilly wrote:
it's beginning to irk me that Indigo purports to "support" Ecobee products. Our Indigo developer hosts should consider updating that "third party plugin page" (isn't this now a "fourth party plugin?", or "fifth party plugin" considering the pycobee stuff in there? :P) to explain what's really going on with ecobee support to those that come thru looking to see if Indigo supports their thermostats.

As your "Indigo developer host", I have to say that I don't believe we "purport" to support Ecobee thermostats anywhere on our website. In fact, when we introduced the updated Compatible Devices list, we intentionally didn't ask for supported devices for that plugin because of the various issues it was having.

A robust 3rd party ecosystem is what makes Indigo the awesome product that it is. Unfortunately, there will always be some things missing and as FlyingDiver describes implemented in a less than optimal way. But that's how it is with extendable products like Indigo.

We would LOVE to see FlyingDiver (also our volunteer open source manager) create a new Ecobee plugin!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn