CSV of detailed HVAC usage and configuration history

Posted on
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:27 am
2013automator offline

CSV of detailed HVAC usage and configuration history

Your plugin is great!

I recently switched from a Nest to an Ecobee Premium when I got a heat pump with gas furnace backup for cold days and quicker warm-ups.

One thing I miss from the Nest is the heating and cooling usage history. I'd also like to know details like:

- when the fan, heat pump, aux heat, or A/C is on, and ideally, why it is in this mode. I can think of these reasons for the system to be on. Perhaps there are more:
- manual override at thermostat
- manual override via ecobee app/indigo/website
- scheduled comfort setting time
- current comfort setting being selected manually
- current comfort setting temperature change
- indoor temp change
- comfort schedule time reached
- outdoor temp change
- fan schedule
- humidity control
- pre-heating or pre-cooling to reach temp by comfort schedule time
- settings change: comfort settings change, schedule change, and set point changed, Aux heat threshold changed
- outdoor temperature
- indoor temp at each sensor, which one(s) are active, the displayed temp (depends on which sensors are active)

How can the ecobee plugin be used to maintain the usage history in a spreadsheet or other useful format?
Could this kind of history be written out to a CSV every 3 minutes when it checks in with the ecobee system?

Posted on
Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:16 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: CSV of detailed HVAC usage and configuration history

If the api allows for download of historical data then I’ll look into enabling that. If not you’ll have to do it yourself. There are some data recording plugins to help.

Please create a GitHub issue for the request.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:47 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Take a look at this API call: https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/a ... port.shtml

If that's what you want, open an issue on GitHub and I'll add code to download that file to a specified folder. After that, it's up to you to do something with it.

Alternatively, you could use one of the data capture and/or graphing plugins to get the data you want from changes to the Ecobee device states.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:14 pm
jltnol offline

Just to echo Dave's comment, Timers & Pesters is a good plugin in terms of keeping track of usage. It gathers a wealth of data, and I've harvested it to write logs of AC & Heat usage as well as with the Charts & Graphs plugin to graph other data.

Page 1 of 1