Set Ecobee heating mode

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:37 pm
K3LAG offline

Set Ecobee heating mode

Because of where my house is located my Ecobee Premier gets lousy weather data. The outside temperature can often be off by 5-10 degrees. Normally you would depend on the setting of the minimum outdoor temperature for the compressor (in my case 35 degrees) to switch to using gas only so the heat pump doesn't run forever trying to warm the house. Unfortunately I've had nights where the temperature at my house was 30 and the Ecobee thought it was in the 40's because the weather data is so lousy. So, my heat pump runs in vain when my gas heat should be on.

What I would like to do is get the temperature from my personal weather station (which I can do with the WeatherFlow plug-in) and use that temperature to switch the thermostat between the heat and aux heat modes depending on the outdoor temperature. There doesn't seem to be an option in either the standard thermostat settings or the ecobee plug-in settings to turn on aux-heat mode. Am I missing it? If not, would it be possible to add it?

When the Ecobee is set to Aux Heat Mode, the hvacMode=auxHeatOnly

Larry

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:32 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Set Ecobee heating mode

Indigo doesn’t have an aux-only mode for thermostat devices, so I didn’t implement it. The api does support it, so it’s possible with a plug-in specific action. If you open an issue for it in the GitHub repository, I’ll add it when I get home from this trip. It’ll be a couple weeks.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:51 pm
K3LAG offline

Thanks. I'll do that.

Right now I'm just running in Aux all the time and as winter further sets in it will be rare for it to be warm enough to use the heat pump so it's not a rush.

Update: I opened an issue. I hope I did it right.

Larry

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:16 am
K3LAG offline

Joe,

Thanks for the update. Seems to work like a champ! :D

Page 1 of 1