TRV Beta Feedback Thread

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:38 am
autolog offline

Re: TRV Beta Feedback Thread

siclark wrote:
... However, have another bug report. One of my TRVs stopped responding a few days ago, and it missed 2 schedules. When I reloaded the plugin, it realised it was supposed to be in the middle of the second missed one, and the SP was set, and the valve opened and all good. Not sure what had happened there though. ...

Thanks for the report. I have discovered that occaisionally a Spirit might not respond to a command or appears to but doesn't do anything. The most typical manifestation is being asked to switch off (i.e. set to 8 deg C), saying the valve is at 0% but the radiator is still. heating and so it isn't.

I am toying with the idea of actually switching the Spirit off rather than setting it to 8 deg C and then switching it back on again when it is calling for heat. If I do this, I will make it user selectable via device settings. :)

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:20 pm
siclark offline

Yes that was what I assumed was happening. I've seen both, with radiator left on, but also it failing to come on.
In those cases, would the spirit respond directly about its state? IE could the plugin check periodically that is doing the right thing? Or would it reasons with what it should be doing, rather than what it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:08 pm
Busta999 offline

Vesternet have a sale on of Spirits for£42 right now .

Posted on
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:27 am
bullsim offline

autolog wrote:
siclark wrote:
... However, have another bug report. One of my TRVs stopped responding a few days ago, and it missed 2 schedules. When I reloaded the plugin, it realised it was supposed to be in the middle of the second missed one, and the SP was set, and the valve opened and all good. Not sure what had happened there though. ...

Thanks for the report. I have discovered that occaisionally a Spirit might not respond to a command or appears to but doesn't do anything. The most typical manifestation is being asked to switch off (i.e. set to 8 deg C), saying the valve is at 0% but the radiator is still. heating and so it isn't.

I am toying with the idea of actually switching the Spirit off rather than setting it to 8 deg C and then switching it back on again when it is calling for heat. If I do this, I will make it user selectable via device settings. :)[/quote

I think I have had a Random issue when the boiler stays on and it’s the issue of the valve staying open. The off may well help.

Posted on
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:50 pm
siclark offline

autolog wrote:
siclark wrote:

I am toying with the idea of actually switching the Spirit off rather than setting it to 8 deg C and then switching it back on again when it is calling for heat. If I do this, I will make it user selectable via device settings. :)

I know you repeat the command after a few seconds. What if it's a minute later, would that get a more reliable acknowledgement?

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:26 am
siclark offline

Hi Jon,

Another example where 4 Set Point changes were missed in a row, at 00:05, 7am, 11am and 7pm and then strangely it kicked in again at the next 00:05 schedule. I now have a trigger to warn my if the room drops below 17, which I was planning to use to trigger a boost in the hope the TRV would pick that up, but would the plugin then instruct it to go back to the current scheduled set point after the boost runs out?

Another TRV did the same thing but missed morning and evening schedules since Tuesday evening, and started responding this morning. In the meantime, all other TRVs are working as expected. This TRV is at 50% battery, the one above is at 20%.

On topic of batteries, I have already replaced one set, have you tried any testing to see if turning off valve reporting helps battery life at all?

Thanks

Simon
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 09.20.51.png
Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 09.20.51.png (290.76 KiB) Viewed 4067 times

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:27 am
autolog offline

With regard to the missing setpoint changes and using boost - the plugin should revert to the correct schedule.

What was the actual Spirit device setpoint showing during this problem period?

I could add a TRV Controller device option to disable Valve Reporting? I'll add it to the list of things to look at. :)

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:31 am
siclark offline

It's the green line. Both the TRV and what I call the thermostat, IE the plugin device, were at 8 degrees the whole time.

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:32 am
siclark offline

We can turn off valve reporting in the device options. Just wondered if we knew if it helped on battery life at cost of reduced information.

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:49 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
It's the green line. Both the TRV and what I call the thermostat, IE the plugin device, were at 8 degrees the whole time.

Looking at the graph (and from what I can make out) the green line isn't on 8 the whole time?
It goes down to 8 when the temperature exceeds the setpoint or am I missing something? :?

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 am
siclark offline

Yes, the green line does drop to 8 a few times when the actual temp > setpoint. Thats not the problem.

If you see at 2/20 00:00 it comes on then at 20, then up to 22 at 7am. Comes on again at 22 at 11am for 2 hours, then at 5pm at 20 until midnight.

For 24 hours from 2/21 00:00 nothing happens. The plugin device does not set the setpoint for any of those 4 times, ie the pale blue line doesnt move, and the TRV valve doesnt turn on . The TRV is responding as we can see the temperature reports.

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:43 am
autolog offline

OK - I understand :)

Looks like something went wrong when the plugin reset the daily timers which it does at 15 minutes past midnight. :(

Are there any error messages in the log around that time on either the 20th or 21st?

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:12 am
siclark offline

I have emailed you the logs for 3 days. On the 21st it looks like only 2 of the devices were restarted, and then the log is very quiet, as they were not reporting schedule changes.

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:42 am
autolog offline

As I suspected, there was a problem with the schedule re-statement.
The log shows a number of errors of the form:
error='ServerCommunicationError -- timeout waiting for response'

The plugin is asking Indigo for devices and it takes too long to respond.

In the normal Indigo log, are there any errors around 5 minutes to 20 minutes past midnight. :?:
Indigo seems to be having some difficulty responding in a timely manner. :|

I will have to think about how to double check the schedule restatement is successful and how to recover if not. :)

Posted on
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:20 am
Busta999 offline

As an aside - worthy of note for anyone looking using controlled TRVs.

Out of the 8 Spirit TRVs I am using 3 of them have been reporting the same TRV Thermostat Temp for over a week. It could be a reporting/polling issue still investigating.

Using and external temp sensor to drive them - and use TRV Controller makes them much more reliable.

If the Radiator is relying on its own readings you will probably get some weird behaviour.

The external sensor I am using are largely Hue Motion Detectors (Using Hue Plugin by Nathan - the run for a couple of years on 2 AAA batteries and are rock solid for reliability, and for £34 worth every penny, I am also using Oregon Scientific THN132N (using RFXCOM) at £14 each they are good value but not as good as Hue Motion Detectors, and finally the ZWAVE 6 Multi Sensor - is good and seems reliable but comes in over £50.